Friday, May 28, 2010

What Can Brown Do For Me? ...

One day, not long ago, I looked around my living room and realized just how enamored I am with the color brown.

Not just "brown," of course. Not just the Crayola interpretation of "brown," but variations of brown: beige, khaki, cinnamon, espresso, cognac, chestnut, saddle, walnut, manila, oak.

(Aside: I always thought it would be fun to have the job of naming paint colors, but having just written that list, I think I might like naming the colors for a J. Crew catalog or some such.)

And so, this morning, I thought of my fabulous new chair which arrived yesterday in a very large box, and I laughed, because, of course, it's brown. That chair, that is. Though, of course, the box was brown, too.

The chair, though, is not in my living room. It's in my TV room, which sports its share of brown, but is dominated by green.

I'm not sure what it is about me and brown. When I was younger, before I moved out on my own, I had a very schizophrenic sense of style. On the one hand, I envisioned my first apartment in Chicago sporting black leather furniture and lots of chrome. On the other hand, I was charmed by the proliferation of ticking-stripe furniture that began appearing everywhere. I liked its homey vibe, as opposed to the bachelor vibe of the leather and chrome.

But then I rented my studio on Waveland, and I suppose that's where the affinity for brown began. Wide walnut molding intersected the walls about three-fourths of the way up, with khaki paint below and white above. The floors were lighter, more of an oaky shade, but the doors – and there were many, for such a small space – were walnut, varnished to quite a high sheen.

So there you go: brown. I didn't move into a white and grey high-rise box. I moved into a cozy studio on a tree-lined street in Wrigleyville, a building with a lovely stone facade, and more stairs than I cared to climb.

And today, the brown continues. I like its earthiness and warmth. I live with it all year. I don't have "winter" and "summer" decorating schemes.

In my home, it is always fall.

1 Comments:

Blogger Doreen said...

picture of new chair, please!

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home