Thursday, May 20, 2010

'The West Wing' ...

The show ended just over four years ago.

I finished watching it today.

I didn't watch it when it aired. I'd catch a few minutes here and there, but for some reason, I never caught the fever, despite friends raving about it, despite it garnering honors and awards.

But someone with whom I used to talk politics recommended it to me sometime last year, so I added all seven seasons to my Netflix queue, and today, I watched the last episode.

I'm sad to say goodbye to it. Of course, I can watch it again. But my inaugural experience, as it were, is behind me. Now I know the whole story.

It's amazing, really, how closely the show tracks to the current political climate, how closely the campaign and election of Santos track to Barack. Watching Matt and Arnie debate was like watching Obama and McCain. Eerily so.

And even though I knew that Leo dies in the last season, John Spencer's death prompting, not imitating, art, I could help crying.

It was all so well written, well acted, well filmed. Immensely entertaining.

It also served to demonstrate to me that I really do have no inclination toward politics. L.A. Dave often encouraged me to run for local office.

No, thank you. I'll steer clear of the mire.

But the show, that I'll add to my DVD collection someday.

3 Comments:

Blogger Doreen said...

How eeeeeerie!!! New co-worker, Lane and his wife just finished the whle kit n kaboodle last night!!!! Every day I would ask "where are you" and was careful not to blow anything for him.

It was fun chatting with him about it ... Leo's death and Mrs. Laningham's were 1/2 boxes of kleenex!!!

Glad you have experienced it .... LOL ... girls working with me on the campaign almost threw me out of the office because I do not own the boxed set!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Alison said...

Well, shee-it. I've never seen the show. I won't berate you for not putting up a spoiler alert, since, um, the show ended four years ago.

So I'm totally forgetting what you wrote here. ;-)

9:18 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Funny, Do, that you know two people who just finished watching a show that ended an entire presidential term ago. : o ) I have all seven seasons on my Amazon Wishlist. I'll pick 'em up here and there.

Alison, I knew, going in, how the whole shebang ended, but it was still so, so enjoyable to watch it from beginning to end. You really fall in love with the characters. Do rent it or buy it and enjoy it.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home