Monday, May 24, 2010

Calculated Snark ...

It's not that I'm not snarky.

I am. I can be. Snark happens.

But I like to think that it's a reflex. I like to think that I don't engage in premeditated snark, that I don't sit around thinking up ways to be a jerk.

There's a page on Facebook that is worthy of a post of its own, which I will write tomorrow, perhaps, but what you need to know for the purposes of this entry is that there are more than 3,000 members of this particular group, and almost every message I've read on the wall has been effusively kind.

Except one.

One person took the time to join the group just to post a really mean comment.

What's that about?

How pathetic do you have to be to join an environment of kindness just so you can soil it with invective?

Pretty pathetic, apparently.

Like there's not enough strife in the world. Like there aren't newscasts full of bad news.

But there's also a lot of good in the world, very often in very small packages, in one moment or one person. So shines a good deed in a weary world.

How sad that there are those who feel the need to try to douse those points of light.

All the more reason, then, to up the kindness quotient whenever possible.

4 Comments:

Blogger Doreen said...

someone has to piss on everyone else's parade ... like a little kid that sees everyone else is having too much fun (in thier opinion) and he was not invited - so he will make himself known.

Sad Sad people!

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Dave Tutin said...

I truly believe - and have posted on this subject and will again - that the age of the "comment" is not all good.

Technology has allowed us to put our opinions out there much more easily than at any time in history.

This is a great thing for human communication.

But there are those who do not understand that with this power comes great responsibility. Some bloggers are irresponsible. But many more commenters are!

Someone recently left a blisteringly negative comment on on of my sites about my music. My response was, "Tell me you like it, you me it's not your thing...both are fine. But don't tell me what I must change in order for you to like it. You are not that important. And that's what the judges on American Idol do!"

And that's why that program has a lot to answer for.

I'm not against reasoned dissent. But some commenters become like critics. They tear apart what they themselves could never create.

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Dave Tutin said...

Sorry for the confusing mistakes in that! Its late and the Bordeaux was good! I'm sure you can figure out what I meant.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yes, Dave, it all made sense.

And your response to the commentor was excellent! I love "You are not that important."

Indeed, they do often criticize that which they could not create.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home