Friday, April 23, 2010

'How's Your Love Life?' ...

Jeff always asks.

On the phone or in person, not a conversation goes by in which Jeff does not ask, "How's your love life?"

It's become shtick at this point. He asks, "How's your love life?" and I say, "Jeff, Jeff, Jeff ..." and he says, "Beth ..." in his exaggerated way, and then adds, "Why not?!"

We're not exactly Rowan and Martin (how's that for the opposite of a pop-culture reference?!), but I find it endearing, our little exchange.

And so it was last night. I met up with him before a talk he was giving at a library, and within moments of my arrival and our saying hello, there it was.

I very rarely have anything to report. Sometimes, but rarely.

So he gave his talk and signed a lot of books for folks and we made our way to dinner. I hadn't seen him in nearly a year. How is that possible? Where does the time go?

He walked me to my car afterward and hugged me goodbye and I headed for home, listening to Brian Ray, my latest musical obsession, most of the way. (See the post below.)

And then I popped in a CD, the song I want to record next, and for a moment, I was listening to neither iPod nor CD but rather the radio.

It was a commercial.

For cougarlife.com.

Yes, cougarlife.com.

No, I am not making it up, though I thought it was a joke. Had SNL made a foray into radio? Had I driven through some fissure in space into another dimension?

I looked it up when I got home. Yep, it's real.

Oh my.

Behold, my dating future. But not.

I've never had any interest in men who are younger than me. I'm not about to start now.

I read this post again this morning, which goes a long way toward explaining, to Jeff and others, why I'm single.

Oh, I do amuse myself so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home