Monday, March 29, 2010

John, Again With The Food ...

As I've mentioned, every photo I have of John and I together is in – or in front of – a restaurant.

Can you guess where we were here? (You can click on the image to see a larger version. If, for some reason, you need to see a larger version.)

Neither of us realized that the man who took the photograph was making it a point to capture the entire awning. We didn't make it clear to him that we didn't care about the "Tavern on the Green" part. We cared about the "us" part. But this is how it turned out. And it makes me smile. I've never looked as diminutive at any other point in my life as I do here, thanks to the most enormous awning ever constructed.

I had never been to Tavern on the Green, and John was happy to take me there. The food was entirely forgettable (except for the exorbitant tab), but the company could not have been more ideal.

After lunch, we grabbed a cab and headed to Bloomingdales. I needed a scarf to wear under my coat for an event I was attending that evening. I held up two options. John chose.

Tonight, I tied it around one of the handles of my purse as I readied myself for his wake.

John and I usually met in the spring. This time, as you can see – or perhaps you can't – we met in the fall. And the scarf is fall itself: grey, crimson, the faded gold of leaves long past their showy prime.

Artful yet understated, very much like my friend.

3 Comments:

Blogger bleh said...

"I've never looked as diminutive at any other point in my life as I do here." You are funny. My father looks pretty tiny as well. Thank you for another lovely memory of him.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Ellen Mc. said...

Beth, I don't know why my comments keep coming up as from "bleh." That's not my name. -Ellen Mc.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

: o )

I know it's you, Ellen.

It's kind of poetic though, eh? "Bleh" describes a lot these days.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home