Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Need Your Help, Please ...

I just sent this out as an e-mail blitz to a slew of folks in my address book, but I'm posting it here, too, covering all my bases.

Hello, family and friends, colleagues and acquaintances:

My pal Lance is fond of saying that he's not participating in the recession. Lance has a very good outlook on life.

To date, I've been more of a participant in this recession than I'd like to be. But I'm done. Enough's enough.

My network – that'd be you – is vast and varied. And so I'm writing today to ask you to pass along any openings of which you're aware or to forward this e-mail to anyone who may know of such openings. If finding a job is a numbers game, I'm putting chips down on both red and black, so something has to hit.

My background, in a somewhat wordy nutshell, is this:

Words are my life. I just finished a profile of Melissa Etheridge that should start appearing in newspapers and on web sites soon. A couple of years ago, I was honored to edit the final drafts of "The Last Lecture," the collaboration between Carnegie Mellon professor Randy Pausch and Wall Street Journal columnist Jeff Zaslow, who I am privileged to call my dear friend. My resume contains stints at the brand-name publications in Chicago: the Chicago Sun-Times (working with Jeff), Chicago magazine, and five years at the Chicago Tribune. I've also worked for a content syndicator (a division of Thomson Newspapers, back in the day; Content That Works, currently) as well as for two IT consulting companies. I have a background in voiceover, I've done a bit of public speaking, a bit of teaching, and bit of producing a weekly radio feature, and a whole lot of blogging, yes, personally, but also professionally.

I can also hold my own in a kitchen. And I really, truly would love a job that would help others. Of course, combining writing/editing/food/media/good deeds is the pie-in-the-sky scenario, but if you don't get for what you don't ask for ... well, I thought it best to lead with the big guns. And I did just apply to be part of a television show that's in development about amateur bakers, so we'll see where that goes.

But in the meantime, any positions that feature one or more of the aforementioned traits are worth investigating, so if you know of anything, I'd truly appreciate it if you'd give me a heads up.

Likewise, if you happen to be on the hunt, let me know what you're hoping to find. If I can many any introductions, it will be my pleasure.

I hope this finds you well and happy – and if you're getting this more than once, I apologize for any wonkiness in my
address book. I'm sending this a slew of folks from my address book, so if you're reading this, thinking, "Who is this woman?", I promise we've been in touch at some point.

Thanks to you all for reading. And thanks for any leads, introductions, or ideas.

All the best,

Beth

Update: I should have been clear that I'm looking for something in the Chicago area.

4 Comments:

Blogger Doreen said...

Beth is a rock solid superstar ... I have known her for 8 years professionally and personally ... There is no better "get" for an organization!!!!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Doreen, you're very kind! Thank you!

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you willing to relocate?

11:17 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I need to stay in the Chicago area right now.

I'll amend my post to make that clear.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home