Wednesday, February 03, 2010

One Year Ago Today ...

Unintentionally, I sat down to write this exactly at the stroke of midnight.

The moment when yesterday touches tomorrow, a seam in time.

One year ago today, Dave slipped away.

Officially, February 3rd.

But, for many, February 2nd is the date we surmise.

It is trite but true to say that it is hard to believe that a year has passed. How has time not stood still?

As I wrote in a piece a year ago, there is a lifetime more to say. I could say that there are endless stories, but of course, all stories end.

But I am grateful beyond measure for those I have come to know, who have formed a circle of love which forever holds him inside. With them, I am enriched by stories I never knew and shared moments that only family and friends can understand.

He is our common language.

And even as we continue the memoir, we begin new chapters on fresh pages, together.

Missing him, but each of us writing new narratives.

Stories, intertwined, that we will share with him.

Someday.

My love and gratitude to all of his family and friends. You are, each of you, an inspiration.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Alison said...

Sometimes I think losing a friend must be harder than losing family. It sounds as if Dave's friends have formed a new family, though.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Indeed we have, Alison. Which provides much comfort.

11:11 AM  
Blogger ryan said...

Thank you so very, very much Beth. Both for your friendship with Dave and for all of the help, care and love you given our family. Thank you...

11:15 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, there's no need to thank me, Ryan. But since you did, so very kindly, you're very welcome.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

You do have my sympathies, Beth. I know Dave meant so much of you and that even now it must hurt for him to be gone.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thank you, Terry. That's very kind of you.

I do indeed miss my friend. But time really does heal.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been a year, and yet it hasn't. It's still like yesterday when I had to try and explain to my child that the seemingly endless sobbing was because my best friend was gone.

I, for one, am looking forward to the day I can see him again and fervently hope that it comes along sooner rather than later.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home