Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Of Food ...

Today on The Daily Tip, my Twitterfriend Angelo mentioned that if he had a library in his home, it would be full of cookbooks, that he has cookbooks out of which he's never prepared a single dish, but he likes having them around.

Boy, do I know the feeling. I have to stop myself from buying them. Because otherwise, they would take over my life. This is part of my collection (you can click on the images to see the larger versions):



Want to read the titles? Here, let me save you the kink in your neck:


As you can see, my collection runs the gamut. That red one, at the top right of the vertical image? That's Thomas Keller's Bouchon.

Here's a too-saturated image of the cover. It's more muted and lovelier in real life.


I want to live inside that book. It would be the next best thing to living at Balthazar. The photography is stunning. Hell, I even love the fonts.

There is great comfort in pulling down an armful of books and settling into a comfy chair and reading recipes and thinking about menus.

Sometimes, I even proceed to cook.

My latest kitchen happiness exists in the form of glass storage containers from Frigoverre. I have a couple of rounds and several rectangles. I didn't even realize that there are squares to be had. I'll get those one of these days.

But the smallest of the rectangles thrills me. It's wee, about the size of a brownie if the brownie is cut to an acceptable serving size. Look!:


By the by, I recently realized that Angelo reminds me of my Man Lamp. Or rather, my Man Lamp reminds me of Angelo. I suppose the inanimate object should remind me of the human being, not the other way around. Either way, both of them make me smile. Though Angelo is taller.


OK, enough silliness for one day, kids. Back to work, all of us. Whatever that work may be. Me, I have a date with a Swiffer.

Later the same day ...

You know what else makes me happy in the kitchen? The wee cookie that results from the last bit of dough.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What on earth are the off-white, loopy things in the two larger containers? (Actually, they look other-worldly.)

2:49 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I think they're slices of fennel.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Slices of fennel in the biggest container. In the medium size, perhaps bias-cut green or spring onions?

3:11 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

In case it's not clear by the fact that I'm guessing, I didn't shoot the image of the storage containers. It's from the web.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home