Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Doctor Is Taking A Week-long Hiatus ...

I may have a slight "House" addiction.

It wasn't on last night. And while I didn't exhibit all the traditional symptoms of withdrawal – for me, that's a headache from a lack of caffeine – I missed my boy.

Mind you, I could have watched last week's episode again. It's still on my DVR. And it was particularly good: House and Wilson's cute neighbor mistakes them for a gay couple. House plays along with her assumption to get into her good graces so he can have a "revelation" about his sexuality and then sleep with her. Wilson one-ups House by proposing to him in front of her.

House, if you were wondering, pulls off "gay" much better than Wilson. His reaction to seeing his newly delivered "A Chorus Line" poster is a little moment of perfection.

But – confession time – I'd already watched it a second time, and watching it a third time just seemed wrong.

See? I'm no junkie! I can quit any time I want, man!

Says the woman with the first five seasons of the show on her bookshelf.

I had been thinking about buying them for a long time. They were part of my Amazon Wishlist.

L.A. Dave told me to look for them on eBay. He assured me that I could get new copies, not used DVDs. And he was right. And I even tried bidding once, on the first three seasons, bundled together. But I didn't win.

And then, well, it seemed indulgent to spend money on a TV show I'd already seen. But when I had satellite TV installed before the digital conversion, I set my DVR to record "House" any time it aired, both first-run and re-run episodes, on any network.

I had a lot of "House" on hand. Sixty-six hours worth, if memory serves.

But then my brother Paul gave me Seasons Four and Five for Christmas. And then I discovered that Target was selling every season for $17.99.

$17.99!

So I went to Target to buy the first three seasons, only to discover that the first season was sold out. So I got a raincheck.

And then, on New Year's Eve, I went to another Target and – cue the angels singing – there it was. Season One. And it was mine.

And watching much of Season One was how I spent the better part of my New Year's weekend. I just finished it, actually. And I have yet to break out Season Two.

But my deal with myself is that I can watch an episode a day if I watch it from the treadmill. And by "from the treadmill," I mean that I have to be walking on the treadmill. I don't sit on the treadmill to watch TV. Though I would, if that would somehow count toward my day's exercise.

L.A Dave interviewed Hugh on several occasions. He's mentioned in the post that I wrote about L.A. Dave's death. Which the family used as Dave's eulogy. Hugh Laurie, therefore, was mentioned during Dave's memorial service.

Which is fitting, actually, because it was Dave who turned me on to "House." He told me I should watch it. (For some reason, I didn't start watching it when it premiered.) And one summer evening, I caught a rerun. And from that moment on, I was hooked.

Aside from Hugh Laurie's dreaminess (more on that in a moment), the writers of the show are simply the best in the business.

No, I haven't seen every show ever made. Yes, "Lost" is pretty damn cool. But "Lost" is a completely different animal. "House" is a medical drama. And ho hum, how many of those have we seen over the years? And how many of them have been the reheated leftovers of other medical dramas? "House," though, reimagines the medical-drama recipe.

Now, then, Hugh. No, he is not Taylor Lautner. But I am not 15.

Hugh, though.

Whew.

Hugh.

First of all, I love the name Hugh. Second of all, he's British, and oh, how I love a British accent. Third of all, he rides motorcycles. And while I don't like motorcycles because I worry chronically that those who ride them will be killed, there's something really hot about certain guys on motorcycles. (L.A. Dave did a story about Hugh and his bikes, and this is the picture that ran with the piece.) Fourth of all, he's a musician. A very good musician. Fifth of all, he's a writer. A very good writer. If you haven't read The Gun Seller, you should. Sixth of all, look at him. No, he's not Metrosexual Pretty Boy. He's real. Slightly scruffy, a face full of character. And, as this photo reveals, he has lovely hands. I have a big thing for men's forearms, wrists, and hands. (Click on the image to see a larger version.) Seventh of all, he's funny. Click here to watch him talk and play piano. His vocal stylings in this particular piece leave a wee bit to be desired, but he's singing for comic effect. I do believe Hugh could sing rather more pleasantly on another song. Then again, even if he couldn't, I wouldn't care. The man already has more than his share of talents.

Hugh's leg, thankfully, is just fine.

But House and his cane return with a new episode next Monday. Just in time for my next fix.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

Have you heard him read the classics in your ears through headphones at midnight? *sigh*

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Expectations-Penguin-Classics-Abridged/dp/0141804483/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263936597&sr=8-1

3:31 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

NO ... I ... HAVEN'T.

OH ... MY ... GOD!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mindy!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

You know, you can bittorrent every episode ever broadcast.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never saw the Inside the Actor's Studio episode. Priceless! I do, however, remember Dave talking endlessly about the motorcycle article. He knew I was a fan, too. :)

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home