Monday, October 12, 2009

Shelf Life ...

My friend Random is the cerebral sort. Sometimes. Today's blog post features a shot of what I presume is part of Random's bookshelf, with the request that we readers take pictures of our bookshelves and allow a random esquire a virtual view into our bibliophilic psyches.

I don't have the best digital camera – or maybe I just never learned how to adjust the settings to score crisp shots – but I snapped a few shots of a few spots of my shelves.

A glimpse, then, at a random selection. Note the juxtaposition, which I just noticed tonight, of Woody Allen books next to a history of the Holocaust. Weird. If you're wondering why I have two copies of Stephen King's On Writing, I'll tell you: I bought the softcover version, oh, some number of years ago. A year or two later, for Christmas, my father gave me the hardcover copy. Dad is not a fan of Christmas shopping, so I was extra touched that he went into a bookstore and said to a salesperson, "My daughter is a writer. What book should I get for her?" So I keep both copies side by side, heartwarmingly.



And a glimpse at a bit of fiction. And non-fiction. But mostly fiction. I hated The Corrections, in case anyone cares. But as you should already know, I love Animal Dreams.

7 Comments:

Blogger Random Esquire said...

What didn't you like about The Corrections?

I did laugh when I saw the Woody Allen next to The Holocaust.

What was your conclusion on if men were necessary?

-R.

10:36 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

Boy, your shelves are much better organized than ours. We've got stuff standing up, stuff laying down, books without dust jackets, dust jackets without books...

10:53 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

@Random: I just thought the whole family dysfunction thing went off the deep end. I mean, perhaps there are really families like that – perhaps Franzen's is one of them – but I don't need to invest that much of my life reading about them. And don't I remember the father making an rather unsavory use of coffee cans in his workshop?

Funny thing about Dowd's book: The first copy I bought I ended up returning because some of the pages were bound in it upside down. And then, once I got the new, properly oriented copy, I never finished reading them.

But from personal experience, I assert that while there's less of a need than in decades past, the need is still there.

If only to get rid of the mouse I spied in the trap in my basement.

@J.: Thanks! I confess that I reorganized a few books to get a better sampling in the first shot. I have a lot of books. Didn't feel like shooting and posting them all. But I have this weird part of my brain that needs everything, visually, to be neat/aligned/etc. So my bookshelves are all quite orderly. I've stopped myself from grouping them by color.

But I did that to my DVDs. : o )

5:42 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Wow. WAY too early.

I never finished reading *it*, and there's still a need for men.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Matthew M. F. Miller said...

I love it, Beth. What a cool idea. I LOVE the Emperor's Children.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Bruno said...

Hi Beth, stumbled upon your blog....I'm a huge fan of Keith Olberman too and of course Rachel Maddow...got to work with Mike Rowe yesterday too...I think that's how I stumbled upon your blog:).........Bruno

11:23 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

@Matt: It *is* a fun idea, isn't it? That Random's always thinkin' ...

@Bruno: Welcome! Yes, most people find my blog by searching on a "Mike Rowe" variation: "Mike Rowe gay," "Mike Rowe opera," "Mike Rowe girlfriend," etc. Fun that you got to work with him!

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home