Sunday, September 06, 2009

My Latest Favorite Tune ...

This weekend, I spent some time clearing out my DVR, which had become overrun with more TV than I ever would be inclined to watch.

Happily, though, I had saved an episode of Letterman featuring Dave Matthews Band. I'm not a hardcore DMB fan, but I find Dave's singing voice completely fascinating.

The band performed a cut from its latest album, "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King," the cover of which I find disturbing.

But the tune! It's my latest musical obsession. I'm sure I'll listen to it about 20 times in a row tomorrow, when I can crank the volume.

It's unlike anything I've heard in a long time. Actual musicians playing actual instruments and relying on their actual voices, not thick blankets of studio production.

I'd embed it here, but YouTube has gone all widescreen on me, so when I plopped it in here earlier, the video barged into the sidebar. Humph.

So, instead, click here and watch Dave and the boys in all their 16:9 glory.

5 Comments:

Blogger J. Marquis said...

You know, I really like Dave Matthews as a person and want to be a fan but I hate the way he sings.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Interesting, J.

I like him as a person, too, and he's a surprisingly good actor, but what I like most about him is the way he sings. He has such a different sound. And as mainstream music gets more and more homogenous, I like listening to his voice. Just like I love listening to Eddie Vedder. Whew, that man's vocals knock me out.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Etiquette Bitch said...

What did Dave Matthews act in? I got to meet him about 14 years ago when he was still sort-of unknown, and he was just A DOLL. I'll always like him just because he was such a sweetheart + because he hugged me when I told him that one of his songs (one he hasn't done since) blew me away.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Aw, that's a sweet Dave story, EB. He does seem like such a nice guy.

I've seen him in an episode of "House" in which he plays a musical savant (the ep, titled "Half-Wit," aired in 2007), as well as in "Because of Winn-Dixie," in which he has a fairly large role.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home