Saturday, July 11, 2009

Still 'In Bruges' ...

I'm reposting my original post about this flick because my pal Rick watched it today and wrote tonight to tell me how much he loved it. And I want the whole world to see and appreciate it. Stop what you're doing, right now, and find it.

Ohmygod, I love this movie.

Comedy.
Pathos.
Extreme profanity.
Graphic violence.

Bits of dialogue such as "What are they doin' over there? They're filmin' somethin'. They're filmin' midgets!"

and

"You can't sell horse tranquilizers to a midget!"

No, it is not politically correct. But it is brilliant.

I knew nothing about it going into it, other than that it was well-received by critics and that Ciarán has an uncredited role in it.

Colin Farrell is great, but Ralph Fiennes is outstanding. Remember his role as the dashing count in "The English Patient"? His role as Harry in this movie is absolutely nothing like that.

And look: two movie posters. I like the top one much better than the bottom. But check out the tagline: "Shoot first. Sightsee later."

Rent it. Rent it now.

Or buy it.

Or rent it then buy it.

Either way, see it.

Unless you can't abide the sight of blood.

Then maybe not.

Maybe just listen to it, because the writing is brilliant.

Martin McDonagh, making his directorial debut, also wrote the screenplay. I bow to him.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Ciaran?

And how the hell do you pronounce it???

7:53 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ciaran Hinds. You may know him as Caesar from HBO's "Rome." Or a zillion other roles he's had over the years.

And it's pronounced KEER-un.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bruges is a really beautiful city, too.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Rick Hamrick said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Rick Hamrick said...

For anyone wondering, I did a silly thing in my earlier comment and asked Beth to remove the comment. That way, my silliness won't get in the way of the enjoyment of this terrific movie for those who have not seen it.

So, no censorship happening other than the self-censoring kind.

10:47 PM  
Anonymous J. Drew Scott said...

So glad you loved this movie and are pimping it! I'm of the same mind, and I did some pretty blinged-out pimping of my own over at my blog.

http://jdrewscott.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/in-bruges/

The more reward we give for movies like this, the more of their kind we'll receive from Hollywood and other mainstream tastemakers.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home