Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Briefly ...

This is a fun bit o' news for those who've read The Girls From Ames: The other day, on the spur of the moment, I invited my friend Jeff, author of The Girls From Ames, and his wife, Sherry, to join my 4th of July festivities. Later that afternoon, he called to catch up – he'd been busy polishing the manuscript for Sully's book – and asked, "Guess where I'll be on the 4th?"

Where?

"Grand marshal of the parade in Ames, Iowa."

I LOVE that!

"They asked me if I wanted a convertible or a pickup truck. I went with the pickup truck," he said.

"Sure," I replied. "It's more Ames-esque. Convertibles are too politician-y."

"Or too astronaut-y," he said, which made me chuckle.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Sully?

11:56 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

The pilot who landed the plane in the Hudson.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Wow. That is cool, although I'm surprised that in Ames they'd use a pickup truck for the Grand Marshal. Here we use a convertible (mind you, this is a very rural area), usually a classic one.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheesh, Jeff really turns these things around in a hurry! That incident with the plane wasn't even 6 months ago! But that's a true journalist for you.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Alison said...

Awesome.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home