Sunday, June 21, 2009

On The Heels Of 100,000 ...

Sometime before the 4th of July, my blog's odometer will click past 100,000.

I've had more than 100,000 visitors since I began blathering in March 2005 and 1,395 posts ago. (This is post 1,396.) I didn't have a counter on this blog for quite some time, so I actually passed 100,000 some time ago, I'm sure. But the numbers that count are the numbers you can see.

So here I am, still prattling on after all these years. More than four years. Years that have contained a few sage moments, I suppose, but for the most part have been full of banalities. Does the world really need to know how much I hated "Nacho Libre"? Probably not.

Of course, 100,000 is a precious number, precious as in "adorable." Plenty of sites garner that much traffic in a few hours, not a few years. But I don't advertise my blog anywhere. I'm not a prolific commenter, so people aren't linking back to my site that way. It would be interesting, though, to know how many people have found my blog by entering "mike rowe gay" into search engines. Mike and his "Is he or isn't he?"-ness remain the most popular reason people arrive at Finding My Voice.

And now that I've mentioned him again, this blog will turn up as yet another search result.

So let's give Mike a hand, shall we? And a little love, because he's pretty. (L.A. Dave interviewed Mike a year or two ago and told Mike about my blog's Mike-centric hits. So in the event that Mike runs across this post in a vanity search: Hi, Mike! I hope to run into you in a bar someday. I know what I'm supposed to say. But I don't drink beer, so here's hoping you'll bend the rules.)

My posts are becoming slightly less frequent. I'm off my pace of posting once a day. I have friends with blogs who only post when they feel they have something truly blog-worthy to say. But me, I've always felt like this site was a bit like my kitchen, and if people are stopping by, well, it's just not hospitable to not have something to offer them. If you stopped by my actual kitchen, I'd at least offer coffee. And if I had a freshly baked good on hand, I'd offer that to you, too.

So perhaps I'll up the ante on posting and resume my blathering. Or maybe the time is nigh to craft a farewell post and say so long to this little corner of cyberspace.

But I'd leave the site up, for all those Internet travelers who need a place to land when they search for the truth about Mike Rowe.

Psst! He's not gay.

7 Comments:

Blogger J. Marquis said...

Congrats on the hundred thousand hits!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your site on Kiva where we had both loaned to the same person. The tresses drew me onward.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks, J!

And thanks to you, too, Anon, for the laugh. My hair, it's magic, apparently. : o )

6:44 PM  
Blogger Doreen said...

is it possible I just saw Mike Rowe in a Ford commercial? On the same night I read your blog post? Talk about being "linked in".

9:28 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, yes, you did. He's been the voice of Ford for some time, but the company recently – wisely – made him the face of Ford, too.

Hubba hubba! : o )

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how many of us readers found you through Dave (aka LA Dave)? He was lucky to have you as a friend.

--Kathleen

12:59 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, Kathleen, what a sweet thing to say.

And I was very lucky to have him as a friend, and I couldn't be happier to have met so many others who were lucky enough to know him, too.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home