Friday, June 26, 2009

Evanesced ...

I rise from trumpets and roses
Escape the embrace of imagined
solitary comfort
To join the living, the fully alive,
if unaware, beyond
I enter, my eyes wide open
A world where beginnings sometime
have ends or linger or grow
until they are unaware they
have begun and simply are
My life, full and round and good


One evening, years ago, those words decided to make themselves known to me, and so I wrote them down.

Some moments in our lives are fleeting. Others linger at length. Months. Years.

And while all moments connect to one another and shape-shiftingly form themselves into what we call a life, some are superficial while others burrow deep into our souls.

Some aspects of our lives are so indelible, so inherent, that it simply seems impossible that they will ever go away.

Take any other pound of flesh, but spare the heart. Even battered, it beats and holds dear that which we cannot bear to leave behind.

But nature abhors the status quo. Love arrives as a vapor and one day burns away. And while there may be private tears, the moments tick past, silently, and the day arrives when it's done.

No fanfare. No drama. No tearful goodbye.

Just the gradual fade of a bittersweet melody as a new song begins to swell.

2 Comments:

Blogger JMH said...

It's like music then, is it? That's not fair, everything is like music.

I don't mean to be a creep, some weird guy who comes out of nowhere and says things that don't quite make sense (although that's not an inaccurate description), but I enjoy your writing and I'd appreciate it if I could occasionally say that here.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, as Shakespeare said, "If music be the food of love, play on."

And thank you for the compliment. It is in no way creepy.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home