Friday, May 15, 2009

'Star Trek' ...

In a word: WHOA!

In a few more words: Seeing this flick on an IMAX screen was totally worth the few extra bucks. Although I seem to remember that the movie screens of my youth were about as big. When did they turn into, essentially, television sets?

So, is there anything J.J. Abrams can't do? "Alias"? Outstanding. "Lost"? Genius. And his direction on this movie is superb. It balances the overall gravity of the plot with plenty of lighthearted one-liners that hearken back to the campiness of the original series.

But the most amazing aspect of this film, for me, is the casting. I doff my imaginary hat to April Webster and Alyssa Weisberg, the casting directors for this film.

Zachary Quinto as Spock is just genius, and I was thrilled to see Simon Pegg show up as Scotty. And Anton Yelchin did a great job of contorting his speech into Chekov's accent.

I missed Randy Pausch's cameo, but a quick IMDb search reveals that he was a Kelvin crew member, which means he was in the very first part of the film.

So I guess I'll have to see it again, to spot him. And I guess I'll have to see it again because it's really cool. I don't often see a movie twice while it's in the theaters. Hell, I don't often see a movie once while it's in the theaters, relying on Netflix to help me catch up on all the stuff I intended to see but never got around to somehow.

But this movie? If you haven't already seen it, seek out the biggest screen you can find.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We saw it last Sunday, although not on IMAX, which I am now regretting. I loved it. Kudos to those involved in the film. And I did not know to watch for Randy Pausch, so that will be something to look for on round 2. :)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

It was great. And I loved the casting. I was shocked at how well Zachary Quinto did Spock. He even looked like Nimoy.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home