Monday, April 06, 2009

'How To Lose Friends & Alienate People' ...

Just wondering: Why isn't Simon Pegg a super-ginormous star in this country? I have yet to see a movie featuring him in which I did not find him utterly endearing. Even if the films themselves aren't outstanding, Pegg always shines.

I must have seen a trailer for this flick on another DVD and added it to my never-ending Netflix queue.

It's predictable, sure. Most movies are these days. But two of the performances really make it worth the two-hour investment: Pegg, of course, and Jeff Bridges, who sheds his Jeff Bridges-ness, dons some long grey hair, and amuses greatly. (I presume his character was based on Graydon Carter with the fictional magazine standing in for Vanity Fair?)

Gillian Anderson leaves Scully far behind in her turn as uber-publicist Eleanor Johnson, while Kirsten Dunst remains, interminably, Kirsten Dunst.

On Sunday, on the phone with my e-pal Rick, he asked me how I pronounce my last name. I know, I know, I have a Polish surname and anything that ends in "-ski" automatically gives people hives, but I told him that I don't understand why people can't at least attempt to sound it out. I am forever being called "Miss Kowalski." Why? Why do people insert an "L" into the pronunciation of my last name? There is no L in my last name!

But there is a Mrs. Kowalski in this movie, which I found completely charming given that I'd just had my "Kowalski" conversation with Rick earlier in the day.

Also completely charming: Pegg's delivery of the simple line, "Oh, that's grim!" Perfection.

Now if Pegg and Ricky Gervais will kiss and make up and make a movie together, I'll be in heaven.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Was Kirsten Dunst awful or good? Do you perhaps mean "inveterately" rather than "interminably"?

8:29 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

It depends on whether you like Kirsten Dunst. I don't, personally.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home