Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I Suppose I Should Be Sleeping ...

This is what I get for having carbs for dinner.

Tired too early, but then, the moment the pasta-induced coma wears off – hello! – Beth can't sleep.

So I'm up when I should be sleeping. And later, I'll wish I was sleeping when I need to be up.

But I like the stillness of night. The quiet. The wondering about the goings-on of others at this hour. Who else is awake and at their computers, unable to sleep? Who is closing down a bar? Who is on their way home from work?

Logically, at this hour, I should read or watch TV. I should not sit so close to a bright screen. I'm sure the glow further messes with my ability to drift off eventually. But there's something about being up in the middle of the night that makes me want to connect with the outside world. And my computer is my tether.

If only I had reliably sleepless (insomniaical?) friends. We could call each other at these hours.

Or if only I had the ability to teleport myself. I could visit friends in other parts of the world where the hours are more sane.

Alas, to the best of my knowledge, my friends are sound sleepers and I suppose it's for the best that I don't have the ability to dismantle myself down to the molecular level. Surely, one key molecule would get hung up somewhere and I'd recompose at my destination looking like something Picasso would paint.

But I seem to be getting sleepy. I guess it's time to try again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah, and then there are those of us who not only sleep well (anywhere, in fact), but work all hours of the day and night and are in fact often wide awake when the rest of the world is fast asleep. Today marks the 28th anniversary of my career as a professional journalist. About 20 of those years have been spent working ungodly hours. And after all of that you being to realize that the world truly is a 24-7 place now. Your neighbors might be asleep but half the world is awake and running around. That might explain why I'm often tailgated, in the wilds of Connecticut, at 3 a.m.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

I hope you finally got to sleep. I never have cared for being wide awake late, late at night, when I want to go to sleep. The only thing as bad is wanting to stay up, but feeling sleepy...

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch The Hunt for Red October. A sage friend of mine once said that it could put anyone to sleep--and he was right. Much better than sleeping pills. :)

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home