Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The 3-Day: Registration ...

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you know that I participate in the Breast Cancer 3-Day every year. (And if you're new to this blog: Hi, I'm Beth. I participate in the Breast Cancer 3-Day every year.)

This year's event will be my sixth. With five 60-mile events under my belt, I've walked just shy of 300 miles to raise money and awareness, both to enable breast cancer detection and fund the research that will lead to a cure.

As I've written about in the past, the 3-Day is a logistical marvel. The level of organization that goes into every event is staggering and the 3-Day machine never stops. The "event season" is only part of the annual effort. The remainder of months are given to planning the next year's events and driving registration and providing to support to registrees as they train and fund raise.

It's no surprise, then, that I was contacted earlier this week by Celeste, a social media strategist working for the 3-Day, asking me if I'd consider being a 3-Day Ambassador. Who better to help spread the word about the 3-Day than veteran walkers?

Of course, I said "Yes" immediately.

I'm under no obligation to post about any given topic, but why wouldn't I want to share my experiences to help reassure those who might be contemplating taking the 3-Day plunge?

So, the first topic on the list: Registration.

Perhaps you've seen a commercial on TV or heard a spot on the radio or spotted a walker in your neighborhood sporting a 3-Day T-shirt. If you're still on the fence about signing up, please allow me to encourage you to do so.

The actual registration process is simple. Go to The3Day.org (look, I've even created a link for you!) and find the word "REGISTER" on the right-hand side of the page and click on it to be taken to a list of event cities. Or just choose a city from the drop-down menu on the homepage. From there, registering is as easy as any transaction you've ever conducted online. If you're skeevy about transacting business online, you can print out a registration form to fill out and mail in. Or you can attend a Get Started meeting to get more information (and plenty of inspiration!) and register. Or you can call 800.996.3DAY to register over the phone. See? So many options. I told you it was easy.

Here's a bit of extra incentive: If you register online or at a Get Started meeting this week, you can knock $25 off the registration fee. (That offer is good until 11:59 p.m. Central time on Friday, March 20, so don't dawdle.)

I understand what goes through the minds of would-be walkers: "Can I really walk that far?" "What if I can't finish a day's route?" "Can I really raise that much money?" "What about lunch?"

The decision to participate in a 3-Day is a big commitment in many ways. It's a big commitment to yourself and it's a big commitment to the ever-swelling community of those who will do whatever it takes to find a cure.

Can you really walk that far? Yes, you can. You will be amazed at what your body will enable you to do.

What if you can't finish that day's route? That's OK. There's always a way to get back to camp.

Can you really raise that much money? Yes, you can. You will be overwhelmed by the support you'll receive from your family and friends.

And what about lunch? It's provided for you. As is breakfast and dinner and more snacks than you can even imagine.

But I'll go into more detail about other aspects of the 3-Day in later posts.

The first step (pun absolutely intended) is to register for an event. If this will be your first event, I recommend participating in the city closest to where you live or a city in which you have friends or family. The 3-Day is a very emotional experience. You'll want to have folks there with you to help you celebrate at Closing Ceremonies.

If you have any questions, post a comment and I'll be more than happy to answer them.

But let me leave you with this: Participating in The 3-Day will change your life. For three days, you will immerse yourself in more love and kindness than you can imagine, a microcosm of the way the world should be. Will you be tired? Yes. Will your feet hurt? Probably.

But you will be carried along on the cheers of residents who line the route to offer their encouragement and thanks (and candy ... and Popsicles ... and ice ... and who set up their sprinklers to cool you).

You will find energy in the gap-toothed grins of little kids handing out high-fives and Dixie cups full of Gatorade.

For three days, you will be a rock star.

I'm a writer. And I can write a lot. But no words can adequately describe The 3-Day. It is simply something that you must experience to fully understand it.

With all my heart, I encourage you to register. I'll be here to help you as you train and fund raise. And I'll be there, on the route, cheering you on.

Check back from time to time over the next few months for installments on various 3-Day topics or suggest a topic about which you'd like to know more. I'll do my best to shine a little light and hold your hand.

I look forward to meeting you in August.

2 Comments:

Blogger Roberta said...

Hi Beth,
I'm doing my 3rd 3-day in San Francisco in October. It's a long way from New York ... but that's where my team is going ... so I'm following in their footsteps (!)
My friend Beth has walked around the country 9 times!!! I've been with her in New York and in Boston.
There are no words to describe the experience.
Good luck to you!
Roberta
please visit me at http://www.j2sf.blogspot.com

6:31 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hi, Roberta. It's good to meet another walker and ambassador. I have a friend who's walked San Fran. One of these years, I'll tackle that city. It's one of my favorite places.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home