Sunday, January 04, 2009

'Stay Tuned' ...

Last Monday, last year, I wrote this post about Jenniffer Weigel's one-woman show, "I'm Spiritual, Dammit!" based on her book Stay Tuned: Conversations with Dad from the Other Side.

Though Doreen had recommended the book to me when it was published, I hadn't gotten around to reading it before going to Jen's show. Typically, I'm the girl who wants to read the book before she sees the movie. But in this instance, now that I've read the book, I'm glad for the order of events.

Jen's show is the appetizer portion of her story, but the book is the entree. And dessert. And coffee.

And just as with a meal, you can consume Jen's book in one sitting. One leisurely, indulgent sitting. It's not an insignificant book, length-wise – it's just shy of 250 pages – but her conversational style keeps you wanting to turn the pages.

About half the book takes place before her dad, Tim, dies. The other half, after. Just before halfway point of the book, Jen shares the most poignant quote from her father, literally the heart of life's purpose: "I may not be able to read, or drive, or play the piano but none of that stuff really matters. I can still love."

I can still love.

What more is there to say?

Jen's show runs through February 1, Fridays and Saturdays at 7 p.m., Sundays at 3 p.m. Tickets are $25. Call the CCPA box office at (312) 733-6000 or click here to buy tickets online. I'm including a link to this post on my Twitter and Facebook pages. Please Tweet it or share the URL with anyone who might be interested in her show. It's absolutely time well spent. And one of your New Year's resolutions is to see more theater, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home