Thursday, January 29, 2009

Items Of Note ...

♪ (David, I misspoke. I don't use quarter notes as my bullet points, I use eighth notes.)

♪ I have no good reason for not posting regularly of late. Just busy doing other stuff. Heck, I didn't even watch "Lost" last night. Let's hear it for streaming video! I'll catch up today.

♪ I bought Springsteen's new album, "Working on a Dream," on Tuesday, its day of release. The day before, my pal Jeff and I were on the phone and he was lamenting that the critics were being very unkind. I told him that Entertainment Weekly gave the album a big ol' A. But everyone must make up their own mind, right? I listened to it as I imported the tracks into iTunes and wasn't overwhelmed, but as I continue to listen, I continue to appreciate this collection. He kicks off the disc with "Outlaw Pete" and I have to say, I'm in love with this song. It's a very big sound, even for Bruce. How many Springsteen tracks kick off with a string section?! And yet, later, he includes that signature harmonica wailing like a train whistle in the distance. It's an amazing cut, actually. And at 8:01, it's more than a song. It's a saga.

♪ Springsteen addendum: Tickets for his next tour go on sale on Monday! Assuming I score, this concert will be my 9th Bruce experience since 2002. I wonder if the man ever stays home and catches up on his TiVo.

♪ I didn't see all of my family for Christmas this year, so in the past week, I've had two more opportunities to open gifts. My brother Paul gave me a portable jump starter. I love it! Not because it's a manly tool-type thing but because of the thought behind it: I'd been having trouble with my car starting (had a bad battery, turns out; nothing more serious; phew!) and he wanted to make sure that I never got stuck anywhere. (Note to men in general: This anecdote does not necessarily grant you permission to buy the women in your life gifts emblazoned with the DieHard emblem.)

♪ My cousins sent along a box of birthday (for me) and Christmas prizes (for me, my mom, and my dad) which arrived on my mom's birthday! Fun! I received a nifty assortment of stuff as I do every year, including herbes de Provence (purchased during a recent trip to France, I expect), a hot-pink flocked Jesus bank (with starter pennies inside), a really beautiful piece of pottery, and the best book of all time. (OK, it's not the best book of all time, but it is the latest in a series of the best books of all time because I own some pretty funny books.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home