Thursday, January 15, 2009

Airing Out ...

Oh, what I would give to be able to throw open the windows and watch my curtains billow and inhale the warm, sun-smelling air.

But tonight, the wind chill is a frightening -40 and spring feels years away.

This blog, though, is feeling musty, settled. Or maybe that's just how I'm feeling about my life. But as goes my life, so goes my blog.

So it's time to snap crisp cotton sheets across my bed and fluff my pillows and find my voice all over again.

Monday, I head back into the studio. Yesterday, rummaging through tunes to try on behind the mic, I purposely sought out songs that depart from my usual "smoky, jazzy" style. Much to my surprise, Madonna's rendition of "Fever" feels rather right. Slightly breathy, definitely flirty.

I'm excited about pursuing a position that will enable me to feed my soul. Hunger is a cause that's near and dear to my heart. But there's so much misinformation about nutrition. I'd love to find a job in which I can combat hunger and provide education, maybe part public speaking, part cooking demonstrations. As much as I say I suffer from stage fright, I like to address groups of people, I like to create a connection with a crowd. Speaking, after all, is much less scary than singing.

But toward that end, I've also hatched a plan to attend open-mic nights on a regular basis, to try out new material in front of a forgiving audience.

Years ago for my birthday, my friend Bob gave me a copy of The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. In it, she suggests artist dates, outings to anywhere new or different that will spark new perspectives and creativity.

I look forward to venturing out more. Just as soon as the temperature cracks zero.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

We actually were able to open the windows last week. It got up in the Sixties. Yesterday and today we'd be good to break 10 degrees...

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home