Saturday, December 20, 2008

Early ...

Because I am hyper-glamourous, I went to bed last night before 10 p.m. I tried reading for a little while, but I kept reading the same words over and over so I finally took off my glasses and turned off the light and pulled my fluffy covers over my shoulder. At 10:03 p.m.

I had a busy day, I told myself. I cleared a lot of ice off of a lumpy asphalt driveway for several hours. Whereas the ice came up with relative ease on my mom's concrete driveway, when I came home to do mine, progress was made slowly. But I made a lot of progress. When it was almost dark, I threw in the towel for the day. Or night. Whichever.

So it made sense that I'd be tired. And I was happy to be home on a cold Friday night. Heading to the grocery store for provisions was as far as I wandered last night, and that was far enough. Seriously people: salt. Put. Down. Salt. I know it's expensive. I'll kick in a few extra bucks. Just let me know where to send it. If I have to give up something in exchange for being able to drive without feeling as though I'm going to skid into a tree, that's okayfine with me.

Anyway, the point is, I was tired and I went to bed early. And then I woke up – a good thing, generally – at, wait for it ... 3:30 a.m.! What am I? 80?

"No way," I thought, looking at the clock. A friend – I think it was Kelley – once told me that if you wake up in the middle of the night, you shouldn't look at the clock. So I didn't look at the clock. For about 30 seconds, and then I caved. Because me and willpower? Oil and water, baby.

But there was no way I was getting up at 3:30 in the morning, so I turned over and attempted to doze, which I did, until 4 a.m. Score! Not. I've also heard that if you can't sleep, it's best to just get up and do something until you're tired again, that it's not good to lie in bed and wish you could sleep.

So, of course, I stayed in bed. But I finally threw in the towel and threw off the covers at 4:20 a.m.

As for my chosen activity? Yup, drinking coffee. So I'm pretty sure I won't be going back to bed any time soon.

But I have butter out on the counter, softening for later when I will continue/perhaps finish my Christmas baking. (I'm taking my baking one kind of cookie at a time this year. I have seven kinds done. By the end of today, I should have nine. I usually do at least a dozen. But this year, my baking chi is wonky. And holy crap, have you seen the price of butter? At Jewel, it's over $5 a pound! Land O' Lakes, that is. Which is all I use in baking. Yes, there is a difference. No, butter is not butter, no matter the brand. That, however, is another post for another time.) And I have gifts to wrap. I still have a couple things to pick up, but there's no way I am venturing anywhere near stores today.

So I'm sitting on my loveseat in the glow of my tree, listening to very mellow Christmas music, sipping hazelnut-gooed coffee, and doing myself absolutely no favors in the sleep department by staring at a computer screen. But I'll think of it as light therapy, since we won't be seeing the sun for a couple days.

But the ice-coated trees are pretty. And winter arrives tomorrow. I wonder how long it will stay. I'd try to hibernate, but my long winter's nap would probably last about 20 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home