Friday, October 24, 2008

No Ulterior (Auto)motives: The Final Word ...

Houston, we have our resolution. You may know that I wrote this post about my car trouble.

Wednesday, I received a call from GM and learned that my complaint was being investigated and that I would be contacted today.

I missed the call, returned the call, and learned that since I had my car repaired by an independent mechanic and since he didn't use GM parts, GM will not reimburse any of my expenses.

So, there you have it:

- GM engineered and manufactured a faulty part that has caused thousands of engines to burn antifreeze.

- GM has never issued a recall.

- GM would not repair my car because it was out of warranty.

- GM never suggested that if I took my car to a GM-authorized repair facility that it might cover the expense.

- And now GM tells me that it won't reimburse me the nearly $700 I had to spend to fix my car as a result of GM's failed part.

Which means? When the time comes – though I hope it doesn't come for several years – my next car will be a Toyota.

3 Comments:

Blogger Martwork said...

OK, I admit it. I was wrong. You didn't get a form letter. You will LOVE your Toyota!

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

GM is flirting with bankruptcy, so honestly I wasn't expecting heaven and earth to move over this inquiry. But hey, gotta ask, because not asking is a guaranteed "no."

12:35 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yup, I figured it was a long shot, but I also thought, as a business person, I'd be inclined to give someone $700 if something was my fault in order to preserve the hope that they'd spend $30,000 with me the next time they were in the market for my product.

Instead, I won't be spending tens of thousands of dollars with them the next time I need a car or ever again. And I'm telling others about my experience and it may or may not influence their decision.

Seems like wonky math to me.

But then, I suck at math.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home