Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Wine: What I Like ...


I don't know a lot about wine. I know something about wine, but compared to some of my friends, I know next to nothing about wine.

But a little over a week ago, I had lunch with some friends and the recommended wine to go with my Kansas City strip steak (served on a plate napped with goat-cheese sauce – HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!) was Avalon Napa Valley cabernet sauvignon.

I'd never heard of Avalon, but it was a perfect day and I welcomed a glass of cab. I've become quite a fan of cab. Not that I was never anti-cab, but lately cab and I have been getting closer while my friendship with red zinfandel is somewhat strained.

May I just say that it was one of the most delightful glasses of wine I've ever had the pleasure of drinking? I may? Thank you: It was one of the most delightful glasses of wine I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

Some cabs can be very in-your-face. Most wouldn't think of a cab as part of an al fresco meal. When I think cab, I tend to think of fall and winter and hearty foods, but this cab, this cab is my new best friend.

And it's cheap, about $15.

The Wine Curmudgeon concurs with my assessment, saying, "... it's ... one of the best values in the wine world ... ."

How do you like them grapes?

Don't know yet? Trust me, you'll like 'em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home