Wednesday, September 17, 2008

VisualDNA ...

A couple weeks ago, my friend Steve sent me a link to a nifty take on personality tests.

Instead of answering questions, you click on pictures. Presented with a batch of photos, you select the one that appeals to you the most. And when all is said and done, you're presented with a virtual journal that – theoretically – tells you about yourself.

Ever eager for insight, I surfed right over. While Li'l Miss Type A over here was sometimes frustrated that the photo options didn't present exactly what I wanted to choose, there was always a photo that was close enough.

Here's what I "discovered," with my commentary in italics.

Mood: Easy Rider – You're drawn to the drama of a big spectacle and appreciate the unpredictability of nature. You like life rugged and rough around the edges. When it comes to art, you tend to have a traditional approach. You are passionate about history and true classics. Truly great art stands the test of time. As for music, you're a focused listener and always on the look out for something new. You love the buzz you feel from watching a live performance – there's no better escape.

Ooh, yeah, I'm drawn to drama. As my friend Angela would say, "Lawd Hammercy": I have drama in spades. But I like to think that the presence of drama is directly attributable to the aforementioned passion, though I can't say that I'm passionate about history. Classics, maybe. But yes, truly great art stands the test of time. My definition of "art" is: If I can do it, it's not art. But the biggest truth here lies in "you are a focused listener": I am really attune to details in music. I used to watch the shows Composer Dave scored and would mention specific moments where I thought his music was especially perfect, like three notes over a rack focus of a fern frond. ("The Search for Shangri-La" from "The New Explorers," if I remember correctly. Hey, I still have the VHS!) I think he liked that someone paid that much attention to his work. But I've always been very aural. My ability to write stems from the fact that I can hear how the words sound best, strung together. And yes, I love live shows. Next up: Ray LaMontagne.

Fun: Escape Artist – You really value your 'quiet time' – to recharge and reconnect with yourself. You're not afraid to take yourself away from the crowd and explore your imagination alone. For kicks, nothing beats being out in the open. You are fascinated by the world around you and love to immerse yourself in nature. When it comes to holidays, you like to explore, and immerse yourself in another culture. Always on the go, you take in as much as you can. You find it hard to switch off, as you like to be absorbing new information all the time. And what turns you off? It might sound cruel – but half man half wolf? That's gross!

Yup, I'm all about the quiet time. And I do like nature, but you can hold the bugs. I hate bugs. And no, I am not attracted to hirsute hims.

Habits: Back to Basics – You switch off by switching on! You're a bit of a TV addict and like nothing more than an evening on the couch glued to the box. Your choice of drink reflects refined classic taste. You deserve to unwind at the end of the day and nothing hits the spot quite like your favorite tipple. As for the home, you're a bit of a traditionalist. It's not just about function – style is a definite priority.

TV addict. Guilty as charged. Though I deem very little TV worthy of my time. But I'm a big fan of the Netflix. I rarely drink at home (not when I'm alone, anyway), but I do appreciate good wine, good vodka, and good scotch. And my home is most definitely my canvas: I love decorating. I am especially skilled at picking out perfect paint colors from those little chips.

Social: Thoughtful – For you friendship is all about being there for one another. You can't imagine life without your best friends. And they're the first place you go when you need some advice, or a shoulder to cry on. When you think of freedom – you think of being in charge of your direction. The open road and a full tank can take you pretty much anywhere.

Absolutely on all fronts. I cherish my friends and I do turn to them often. And I do love to drive, and I hop off the highway if an interesting sign catches my eye. Antique stores are always a draw, but anything kitschy will do the trick, too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

Here's an experiment: go back and select the opposite photo (ie: the one you normally wouldn't select)in each pair, and see how close the "analysis" is.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home