Thursday, August 21, 2008

'Mamma Mia!' ...

The short version of my movie review, if you're crunched for time, is this: Pierce Brosnan should really try not to sing.

I've never been a big ABBA fan. I've never had any inclination to see the stage version of "Mamma Mia!" But mom asked if I wanted to see the movie, and I said "Yes."

Because Colin Firth is in it, and I'll watch Mr./Mark Darcy in anything. (My cousin Patty, watching "Pride and Prejudice" a few months back, took a picture of the television so she could use Mr. Darcy as the wallpaper on her Crackberry.)

So we went.

Greece is at the top of my list of places I want to visit. I want to set up in a taverna overlooking the water and drink Roditis and eat taramasalata and Greek bread until I fall asleep. And then I want to wake up and drink Roditis and eat taramasalata and Greek bread until it's time to go to bed. And then I want to wake up and eat Greek yogurt with fruit and honey and wait until the clock says it's a respectable hour to drink Roditis and eat taramasalata and Greek bread.

As you can see, I have very specific plans for my trek to the birthplace of democracy. Acropolis, schmacropolis, history can wait.

So it was a pretty film to watch, because it's set in Greece, and Greece is Greece, all aged and faded from the sun and comfortable like linen.

I have to be in the mood for a musical – and I wasn't much in the mood yesterday – but what this particular movie musical has going for it is that everyone looks like they were having so much damn fun. Meryl Streep, who should sing more, was glowing and so adorable, dancing around in her overalls and waves of blonde hair, with nary a baby-eating dingo in sight.

I winced at bones jutting out of Christine Baranski's shoulders, but Julie Walters is just about the cutest thing on two feet.

And then there's Pierce, who is redeemed later in the film when Meryl peels a wet shirt off of his still-fine form. But I'd much rather watch him as Thomas Crown. Or his skivvie-strutting self in "The Matador."

Still, if you can't have a good time watching this movie (and the amusing performances at the top of the end credits), you probably need a vacation.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Apropos of nothing, I am now residing in Chicago. huzzah!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Right, Andy told me you were moving up here! Welcome to the best city in the world!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Actually, I think I might sit this one out. I mean, I think Pierce Brosnan singing S.O.S. might give me nightmares. BTW, have you ever heard Men Without Hats' version?

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The stage play is fun, too. You don't have to like ABBA or the story, but you can't help but walk out of the theater smiling. It just makes you smile, and as one of my colleagues said, it makes you want to listen to "ABBA Gold" in the car on the way home. And it just keeps packing them in on Broadway. It might be the puffiest, but happiest show ever.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I just heard today that there will be a "sing-along" version of the film released next week, with the lyrics as subtitles. So now everyone can sing as badly as Pierce!

Meanwhile, haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm so happy to see Meryl Streep having an obviously good time on screen. No dingos allowed indeed - though it would have been a cute inside joke for her to have a dingo as a pet, no?

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home