Sunday, August 24, 2008

Jim Gaffigan ...

For the next installment of this week's Socialpalooza (or, more accurately, Getthehelloutofthehouseforachangepalooza), I went to see Jim Gaffigan tonight at the Star Plaza in Merrillville, Indiana.

The Star Plaza is an interesting venue, rather perfect for a comedy show because of its size – not too big, not too small – but I'm always a bit bemused by the musical acts that play there. I'm pretty sure the Oak Ridge Boys live backstage.

Anyhoo, I bought my ticket a few days ago and based on the seating diagram, it seemed like it would be pretty close to the stage. Um, yup. This was the view from my seat:



Taken, obviously, before the show began. Second row, on the aisle, just to the left of center stage.

Jim had an opening comic to warm us up who was delightfully funny, Richard, um, Richard ... well, let's just call him Richard Muttonchops. If he happens across this blog, he can leave his last name in the comments! (Hi, Richard! I'm the one in the second row you stared at at the top of your set.) Shut up, yes, I'm sure he was staring at me. How could he not? Tonight, I was wearing lipstick and gloss.

The thing I love about Jim is that he's uproariously funny yet completely clean. His material, that is. Not that I have anything against profanity. Profanity and I go way back. But Jim doesn't go there. Not in his act, anyway. He has no need to.

He scored lots of points right off the bat by pointing out that tickets to his show were about $40, but after Ticketmaster added the fees, they were $90. Sheesh, no kidding. I don't call it Ticketbastard for nothing. My $37.50 ticket ended up costing me more than $52. Really? I mean, $15 in fees? What's a "Building Fee"? Is that the money they use to buy food for the Oak Ridge Boys?

Speaking of food, Jim did a very funny riff on ketchup. (See? He works clean.) And he pointed out (this is for you, Mike) that salsa is Mexican ketchup and marinara is Italian ketchup and that British food is just bad. "No, no," he said. "Vinegar is British ketchup. But how bad does your food have to be that you put vinegar on it to make it taste better?"

He also had a lot to say about bacon:



His set clocked in at just about an hour, which I figure is reasonable in Comic Hours. If a band played for one hour, you'd be pissed. But a comic who keeps you laughing for a solid hour has earned his keep.

Catch him when you can. Or piece together a show with YouTube clips.

He's known for his riff on Hot Pockets. Enjoy:

3 Comments:

Blogger J. Marquis said...

He is hilarious. I especially like how he does the voices of the audience members he's making uncomfortable.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, that breathy voice of his is the best! For the life of me, I can't replicate it, but every time he uses it, it kills!

11:07 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Good to hear you had a good time. He is very funny. You know, sad as it sounds, I have never seen a comic live!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home