Sunday, July 27, 2008

Blockbuster Weekend (And One More) ...

My movie-going tends to happen in spurts. Like this: No movie, no movie, no movie, no movie, MOVIE, MOVIE, MOVIE!

Here are my short takes on this weekend's bounty:

"The Dark Knight": Give an Oscar to Heath Ledger's family now.

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull": Meh. Indy. Hat. Whip. Cobwebs. Treasure. Again. Are we done now?

"Iron Man": HOLY CRAP, I LOVED IT!

Friday night, I bought a ticket on Fandango for "The Dark Knight." The theater was rather full, but not packed. So I probably could have just walked up and bought a ticket, but $1 seemed like pretty cheap insurance for a guaranteed seat.

And 10 days later, the film has hauled in $300 million and it's no wonder. Wow. What a movie. I'm sure I'm in the vast minority who thinks that it could have been just a wee bit shorter, but maybe it's a guy/girl thing. However, I'll cop to making some noise at the conclusion of the BatPod/cable/slalom/18-wheeler scene. Very cool.

As for Heath's performance, it was simply nothing short of extraordinary.

Saturday was double-feature day. Ethan had told me more than once that I really wanted to see "Iron Man" in the theater, but I also wanted to see "Indiana Jones," so I figured out the best times to see them consecutively and that plan put me in "Indy" first.

I gotta say, I almost walked out. Not because it was bad, but because I was bored. I mean, seriously. Like I said in my review up top, "Hat. Whip. Cobwebs. Treasure. Again." Add to that, "Villain with thick European accent." I guess it just goes to show you, if a couple decades have elapsed since your last installment, maybe it's best to just let it lie.

After "Indy," I had some time to kill before "Iron Man." Quite a bit of time, actually. So I considered going home and catching "Iron Man" another day.

Ohmygosh, I'm so glad that I went back to the theater.

The audience broke down like this: me, a middle-aged woman, four middle-aged couples, and a father and son (I'm presuming they were not seeing it for the first time).

Many thanks to Ethan for his cyber-poking to prod me to the theater. "Iron Man" is the definition of "summer blockbuster." Robert Downey Jr. is outstanding, and good for him for overcoming all those obstacles and for making a movie to which he can take his kid.

"Iron Man" might be the reason I finally get a big-screen TV because I want to watch it again and again. But clearly, the letterboxed version on a 27-inch Sony just won't do.

And then, because I hadn't spent enough time on my ass this weekend, I popped in "Bee Movie" last night. And then I fell asleep. So I finished it this morning.

There were a few laugh-out-loud moments, but I just can't watch animated films without spending all my time picturing the actors behind the voices. I'd love to see an animated movie that uses voice actors, not movie stars, per se. I'm pretty sure some guy named Walt Disney used to make movies like that.

2 Comments:

Blogger J. Marquis said...

Haven't seen "The Dark Knight" yet but loved "Iron Man". Robert Downey Jr. just seems to bring something special to every role he takes on.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

Considering that Iron man was never my "thing" when I used to read comics, I was amazed at how fantastic the movie turned out. Glad you finally caught the wave. :-)

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home