Monday, June 09, 2008

Playful Pill ...

Have I mentioned lately that I'm old?

(My mom just said, "You're not old, you're older." Right, Mom? Did you sleep well?)

OK, maybe I ain't old, but I also ain't as young as I used to be. Yessirre, 40 is coming at me like an anvil in a Road Runner cartoon and I am Wile E. Coyote.

My latest almost-40 malaise, my elderly ennui, stems from a nagging back pain. Ouch. Back pain is insidious. Back pain affects everything you do. Try not using your back. You see what I mean? There it is, between your arms and your legs. Try to roll over in bed without using your back. Or sitting. Or standing. Ow, ow, ow.

So I've been popping Advil Liqu-gels for the past couple days. Judiciously. I try not to take drugs if I can help it, but sometimes, a girl's gotta go for the meds.

Until this latest bottle of Advil, I've been a tablet taker, but I figured that Liqu-gels probably speed relief to the affected area, so I bought a bottle the last time I was at Target, the happiest place on earth. (Is it sad that I can be made so happy by the simple purchase of Puffs and Brita filters? Yeah, I thought so.)

Anyway, this weekend, I cracked into the Liqu-gels and was immediately struck by the striking resemblance between my pills and ... Lite-Brite pegs. Really. Check 'em out. Don't you miss Lite-Brite?


I never had a Lite-Brite, but my cousin Lora did. We, however, never turned out anything like this:


That's right, it's The Last Supper, rendered in Lite-Brite. Click on it to make it larger and see it better.

4 Comments:

Anonymous nat said...

I LOVE Lite-Brite!! And speaking of anvil and being Wile E..... holy 40th batman.....2 months from today (I didn't realize that until I was writing this comment and looked at the calendar). Maybe if I call Acme, they can deliver some anti-40th device to my home.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Embrace the 40th-ness!

I'm already planning my 40th birthday party.

Weird thing is, it doesn't feel like that long ago that I planned my 30th birthday party.

Where the hell did a decade go?!

2:24 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

It is tough getting older. I heard somebody say the word "retirement" should be changed to "doctor appointment".

4:00 PM  
Blogger Martwork said...

Back pain is the worst. I just had a hellish, depressing few weeks with back pain. And then I found this great osteopath who helped me. The most recent post on my blog is about this. Love your blog! From one Chicagoan to another--although I am currently living in L.A.--keep up the great work!

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home