Thursday, June 12, 2008

Danger: Beware Of Failing Memory ...

Yesterday at the gym, as I was on a machine that I'd never been on before, a machine that made me say, "Ooh! It's like Disneyland!" (you know, if Disneyland was all about resistance and guaranteed to screw up your knee), Brandon asked me, out of concern for himself, "Do you ever feel like you've lost your mental edge?"

I laughed and said, "All. The time."

To wit, this afternoon I was driving home from a quick jaunt to the post office, and while waiting at a light, thinking about a blog post, I though of this: "In the next installment of National Treasure, Nicolas Cage will search for my birth certificate." Now, though, I have no idea what I was going to blog about in order to include that line.

I was reading someone else's blog yesterday, someone who is on the brink of 30, and I laughed at what they perceive to be their concerns about getting older.

If only. You 29-year-olds have nothing to gripe about yet. Why not? Because you're 29, that's why! You're TWENTY-NINE. When you tell someone how old you are, you still lead off with the word "twenty." You might as well hold up your hands and say, "I'm this many."

Here's a better age-related reality check for you: A person who was born the day I graduated from high school can now legally drink.

The thing of it is, the 30s are so much better than the 20s. I truly wouldn't go back to my 20s if I had the chance. And I'm really looking forward to my 40s.

I don't understand people who freak out about their age, who claim to be "29 and holding." Sure, how you react to aging is relative to where you thought you'd be at a given age – I, for example, figured I'd be married with kids by the age of 40 – but really, if you could stay stuck at 29, a la Groundhog Day, would you do it?

I wouldn't. I like getting older. I like the passage of time. I like learning new things and seeing new things and meeting new people – most of the time. I've already started planning my 40th birthday party. I have every intention of making a big deal out of it, of throwing one helluva party, because, hey, I might never have a wedding, so why not gather my friends and family around me to celebrate the dawn of a new decade?

And as for my memory, eh, I'll just start popping some ginkgo biloba.

2 Comments:

Anonymous nat said...

"I'm this many." Classic. Loved that line.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Yes, Beth, 29 year olds have nothing to worry about aging. They should wait until they're my age. I figured out I was old the other day when I learned the blonde on the TV Land show She's Got the Look (which is supposed to be a modelling competition) and thought she's YOUNG (she's 38....).

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home