Thursday, June 05, 2008

'Cloverfield' ...

My nephews told me to see this movie. Fresh off a trip to the cineplex, Nick couldn't stop raving about it.

Having just watched it, I'm bummed that I didn't catch it on a big screen. With a theater full of people with whom to whoop it up.

I don't read movie reviews until after I've seen a film. I don't want to know about a movie before I see it, but afterward, I want to see if my experience matched others' experiences. In this instance, I'm in the majority. It's a "guy" movie – lots of 'splosions and freaky CGI monstery things – but I totally loved it.

And to those who didn't like it, I say, "Pa ha! You're cracked!" Yes, I know we're all entitled to our opinions, but seriously, what's not to like in this movie?

I started to pick it apart, plot-wise, and then thought, "Who cares! It's really cool!" Well, actually, I used a colorful modifier for "cool," but this is family blog.

Since summer has arrived (as measured by the need for me to turn on my air conditioning, and yes, I did have my heat on just last week, thanks for asking), add this bad boy to your Netflix queue, make a big bowl of popcorn, maybe whip up a pitcher of lemonade, and kick back for the best hour and 24 minutes you'll spend, uh, the next time you want to spend an hour and 24 minutes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

My take may be found here.

Definitely a big-screen movie, but highly dependent on how raw you (the collective "you") are about 9/11.

I've been wanting to see parts of it again, plus I missed the sneaky punchline at the end (can't discuss publicly as it would be a spoiler). Next time we converse via other means ask me about the punchline scene.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Good point, Eth. I guess I'm not as raw about 9/11 as I used to be, because while it did cross my mind (how can it not, when you see buildings falling in New York?), it didn't completely freak me out. Maybe because I knew what I was watching was a movie. I still can't watch footage from that horrible day.

And I know about the sneaky punchline. : o )

8:18 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Darn. Now you have me wishing I'd seen it on the big screen.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home