Sunday, June 22, 2008

CD Saturday (With Special Guest, Coldplay) ...

I own a lot of CDs. How many? I dunno. Probably 800 or so.

It's no easy feat, storing 800 CDs. So over the years, as my collection has grown, I've purchased various CD storage solutions.

But I've never been good about keeping them organized in any meaningful way. I kept chunks together – Springsteen, Sting/The Police, Clapton, U2 – but one- and two-off artists were harder to find.

And when I bought my latest CD storage solution, I just crammed a bunch of CDs in it. No rhyme, no reason.

So yesterday was the day that I took every CD out of every storage location (they don't all fit in the new storage thingee), took them into the kitchen, and started sorting into piles, A through Z. Well, A through Y, really. No Zs. Luckily, I have a very long counter.



Once I had my alpha-piles (lots of Ss, Ms, and Cs), I alphabetized each and started reinstalling them in my new storage thingee. When I ran out of space, I cleared out the dresser on which the storage thingee sits and continued my alphabetizing in the drawers.

Which meant I needed to find a place for all my DVDs. Which I did. So now everything is nice and organized. And last night, when I wanted to find a CD, it was a snap.

CDs organized, I headed to Borders to secure Viva La Vida, the latest Coldplay disc.

The whole impetus for organizing the CDs was the need to stay home until at least 11 a.m. when the second Coldplay show was going on sale. Even with a pre-sale code, I drew crappy seats for the first show, so I held out for a second show. Sure enough, they added one, the day before the first show. The first tickets I drew weren't the greatest, so I threw them back and fished again. The next pair were awful, way up in the third tier of the United Center. But I kept fishing. I had nothing to lose at that point, and ended up with a very respectable pair. Not the best seats in the house, but far from the worst.

The show is a month from today, so I was keen to get the new disc and start getting familiar with it. I'd read a great review of it in Entertainment Weekly as well as a good Q&A.

I popped the disc in on the way home. I listened to the opening track three times in a row. The whole album is really strong. I like X&Y, but it seemed quite similar to A Rush Of Blood To The Head. This album, though, while still Coldplay, is different. Better.

I know a lot of people think Coldplay is a cliché, but as Chris Martin says in the EW Q&A, "... I think it's nice to be big enough to be unfashionable. It's a luxury problem."

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Holy crap! That is a lot of CDs. I hardly have any- most of my music lives on the computer/iPod.

Glad you got it all sorted out.

12:23 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

I picked up the new Coldplay yesterday. I found it to be really adventurous.

Have you heard of Fleet Foxes? They're a new young band out of Seattle who just put out their first cd. Their stuff is really pretty, lots of great vocals. Reminds me of the Beach Boys, Crosby Stills and Nash and My Morning Jacket.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Jen: I dig the convenience of buying tunes digitally, for sure. But there's something about buying an actual disc that I still love. And hey, if my computer ever freaks out, I have backup!

J.: Ooh, good word, "adventurous." Thanks for the Fleet Foxes tip. Cool sound.

1:56 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

Only A thru Y? No Zs???
A collection that big and not even one lonely Warren Zevon disk? No Zappa? No ZZ Top? (OK, we can forget that last one!)

3:32 PM  
OpenID gte222s said...

marc beat me to it, but I have to say it anyway, how can you have that many cds and not have any zevon??

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home