Thursday, June 26, 2008

3-Day Countdown ...

Six weeks from today, I'll be making my way to Northbrook in anticipation of the 2008 3-Day, which kicks off six weeks from tomorrow.

Yesterday, in an e-mail exchange, my friend Chris wrote, "Hey, your walk is coming up. Are you ready?"

To which I replied, "I'm as ready as I am every year, which is to say 'not at all ready.' For some reason, though, my body allows me to walk stupidly long distances for three days because I give it a steady diet of potato chips and cookies. Hey, it's fuel!"

The 3-Day is known, affectionately, as the "60-mile buffet." And potato chips and cookies are indeed part of the offerings at the stops along the route. Potato chips, because you need salt. Cookies, because you need carbs.

But there are also lots of healthy options – banana halves, orange wedges, chunks o' bagel, pretzels, peanut butter, peanuts – and most people choose those.

Still, every once in a while, it's nice to grab a peanut butter and jelly graham cracker sandwich and not feel at all guilty about it. I do believe it's calorically impossible to gain weight on the 3-Day.

This will be my fifth event, my fourth in a row. At this point, I think it would feel weird not to walk every year. It's now part of my life, like Christmas and my birthday.

The fundraising is going well, but it can always be going better. I'm not in the habit of using my blog to solicit contributions unless it's something I really believe in, and I really believe in the 3-Day.

I wouldn't walk 60 miles – in August, people! – if I didn't.

If you're inclined to contribute, you can do so by clicking here. (Or the big pink box underneath my bio.)

This year's personal goal is $5,000. At the moment, I'm just shy of $3,000. But I have a good feeling about these final weeks.

And, as ever, all my love and thanks to those who have contributed this year and in years past. I'm truly touched by every cent.

Update: Thanks to my friends Jeff and Sherry for making the contribution that put me past $3,000 in contributions for the year, so far. Given that this is my fifth event, I've raised a cumulative $10,000+, but this is the first year I've passed $3,000 in an individual year. Thanks once again to everyone for their generosity. I literally couldn't do this without you.

(This is the team that adopted me for last year's event. As usual, I am the tallest one in the photo.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home