Wednesday, May 14, 2008

'P.S. I Love You' ...

Nevermind that the woman in the poster looks nothing like Hilary Swank. Women watch this movie because Gerard Butler is not only stunning, he also has a charming Irish accent and he worships his wife.

Oh, and he's a musician.

I mean, yeah, he's dead 'n' all, but he's a stunning, charming, accented, worshipful Irishman with a guitar. And he's ripped.

He's a stunning, accented, worshipful, ripped Irishman with a guitar.

In other words, he's the perfect man.

"Perfect" is subjective, sure. You might go more for the buttoned-down professional type. Or maybe the hyper-macho sports type.

But if you came home and found Gerard Butler in your bed, would you kick him out?

Yeah, me neither.

My cousin Patty called this movie "Vapid, but perfect for lying on the couch when you're already brain dead and in the mood to watch cute boys."

So that's what I was expecting when I put it on tonight.

I was not expecting to be so completely emotionally flattened by it. Because how can you watch a movie about perfect love and not compare it to your own life? How can you watch a movie about perfect love and not be painfully aware of yourself sitting alone on your couch, crying, a crumpled Wendy's napkin in your fist, wondering if you're ever, ever going to find anything that even comes close? How can you watch a movie about perfect love and feel sadness seizing your heart like a vice and not wonder how you can possibly still miss someone so much, even after all this time?

But there it is.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The book was so much better than the movie that it's frightening. The movie was incredibly disappointing. Even Gerard Butler couldn't save it.

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the book and truthfully the book was not well written,just a total cry fest. I really could not imagine it being a successful movie. It had too many characters and sub-plots to put in a 2 hr movie.
Some stories just need to stay in the written form and I thought this was one of them.
The movie did successful stayed to the sentiment of the book. And I do think Gerard Butler did save the movie he made you want a "Gerry" in your life.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous natalie said...

Oh boy, that movie arrived at my house yesterday. I can't wait to cry my eyes out this weekend. YES!!!

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home