Thursday, May 29, 2008

'Certain Girls' ...

Today, I am not a loser.

Today, you'll note, is May 29th. There are two – count 'em, two! – full days between now and the end of the month and I sit before you (well, I sit before my computer), gushing with pride because I am able to say that I read a piece of fiction this month. A whole book's worth. Three hundred and eighty four pages! And in just the past few days. It didn't take me a whole month, even. (Though, yes, the bookmark has not moved in Lamb.)

Regular readers know that for the new year Mercurie challenged me to read one book of fiction per month in 2008 because he thinks we just don't read for pleasure enough anymore.

Certain Girls is Jennifer Weiner's follow-up to Good In Bed, her debut novel from a good handful of years ago. She's since written other books (which I've also read), but I think most of Jen's fans were waiting for this sequel, eager to find out what happened to Cannie.

I won't go into great detail because Doreen reads this blog and when I finished the book today, I wrote to her to tell her that she can have my copy of the book. (It's well written and a sweet story, it's just not the kind of book that I'll read again.) So I don't want to spoil anything for her. But a theme in the book is bar and bat mitzvahs, so the opening sentence of this post is actually very clever. Just in case you hadn't realized.

Jen is a very good writer, one of those writers who can turn out books that read as though she just churns 'em out in a day or two, that effortless writing that keeps you turning the page. But she hates – understandably – the term "chick lit," especially when she's lumped into that category. Will guys dig her books? Probably not. But her stories have substance.

And now, of course, I get to pick a new book. I have many from which to choose. My neighbor (Hi, Rhonda!) loaned a Jodi Picoult book to me the other day. Maybe I'll give that a crack next.

There is a great pile next to my bed in various states of started (I used that phrase in an IM chat with New John this morning and it went over well, so I'm recycling it here). Time to turn some final pages and put them on the shelf.

For those keeping score at home, I've read two books this month! And the month ain't over yet. And I've been known to put away a book in a day, so I might just have another book post before the clock strikes midnight on Saturday.

Two books may not seem like much of a feat. Well, OK, two books isn't much of a feat, but remember that I'm a habitual user of Netflix and I have a job and I write two blogs and I subscribe to approximately eleventy jillion magazines and I talk on the phone once in a while and occasionally even leave the house to go see a play or something, so squeezing in two books is noteworthy.

What are you reading these days? I'm always looking for books to add to the pile.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger J. Marquis said...

I'm just finishing "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris. The guy is hilarious...it's the kind of stuff you need to read when you're home by yourself because you end up laughing out loud. I've gotten a couple strange looks at work.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

I'm finishing "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman. Read it if you haven't already.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It frightens me a tad that as an editor and "writer," you don't read more, but at last you're trying.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

As an editor, I spend entire days reading. I'm just reading stuff for work. So by the time the end of the day rolls around, lately, the last thing I feel like doing is reading

And you can call me a writer without the quote marks. I get paid to write. That makes me a writer. Then again, I'd still be a writer even if I didn't get paid to write.

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home