Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Burgundy ...

The fog is burning off.

It's sunny this morning in more ways than one.

Whenever I can wake up laughing over the absurdity of my dreams, the day is off to a good start.

Monday was warm and sunny, my ideal summer day. Not too hot, but warm enough to make me want to laze around outside with a glass of lemonade. Not that I lazed around outside with a glass of lemonade.

Yesterday was cold. About 45 degrees. I wore a jacket and turned on the heat in my car. Typical for this part of the world: almost June and we need our heat. But next week, we'll probably need our air conditioning.

Being cold, though, I decided I wanted soup for dinner. Having no soup in the house – and seeing as how soup isn't something you just whip up from scratch at 6 p.m. when you decide you want it – and seeing as how I didn't have soup makings in the house anyway – I went to the store and bought a can of pre-fab, sodium-laden soupy goodness. Beef barley, because it was that kind of day. Mom's is best, but Chunky will do in a pinch.

At home, I heated it and crushed in a handful of saltines, which I almost never have in the house, but which I bought last week (when I also wanted soup), and tucked in, trying not to burn my mouth.

New John and I were IMing and he wrote something that seemed very cocktail-party-esque ("I read this piece in AdAge today ...") which made me think of wine, which made me think of the wine we had with pizza a few weeks ago, which was a wine I always keep in my house, my everyday, go-to red, Ravenswood Zinfandel.

No, not white zinfandel. God no.

I rarely think to open a bottle of wine when I'm home alone. I open bottles when I have people here for dinner. But yesterday, wine seemed like a fine idea. So I opened a bottle and poured a glass and it was indeed a fine accompaniment to my soup (which was more like stew, because it's Chunky).

And then I poured a little more to take with me to the big comfy chair where I proceeded to read and not fall asleep immediately, which is a bit of a miracle.

And then English Teacher Dave called and we had a good chat.

But here's a little food-pairing advice that I learned the hard way: red wine and Ho Ho's don't mix.

3 Comments:

Anonymous nat said...

Ummmm.....helllloooo..........Ho Ho's go with everything!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

You'd think, but my body was not happy with me last night.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home