Tuesday, April 15, 2008

'King Corn' ...

Some days, I think "Holy mother of God, I want a potato chip."

And then I think, "Ooh! Ice cream!"

And then I think, "Ooh! Chocolate!" and "Maybe a donut!"

The thing is, I never crave broccoli. I don't think to myself, "Ooh, if only I had a big bowl of alfalfa sprouts!" or "You know what'd be good? Puffed rice and a Tab!"

But on balance, I make better choices than I used to. I cut out diet pop several years ago and then I went ahead and cut out regular pop, too. It was part of my high-fructose-corn-syrup purge, and boy, that crap in everything.

Turns out, its not just HFCS that's in everything, the corn from which HCFS is derived is in everything. And I mean everything.

I'm watching "King Corn" on PBS. It's really fascinating.

Check your local listings, or find it on DVD.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

I can't say I've ever craved broccoli either, but there are a few healthy things I find myself wanting sometimes--apples, fresh tomatoes, green beans, spinach, and so on. But then growing up on a farm I think I just grew to like vegetables.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home