Sunday, April 06, 2008

'Across The Universe' ...

It's a mighty bold thing to attempt, any project that so intimately involves Beatles songs. You risk angering several generations of fans if you turn in something schlocky.

But Julie Taymor, not surprisingly, produced something really top-notch.

I don't read reviews before I see movies so I had no idea that Bono was part of this film. So one of the best parts of the movie for me was seeing this character on screen – the man can act on top of everything else – and saying, "Is that Bono?!" Sure enough, it is. He's far too cool.

I thought I might get tired of the song-as-dialogue schtick, but I didn't. The use of the songs is really compelling and it makes you think about them on a deeper level. I confess that I never paid really close attention to the meaning of some of the lyrics of the boys' tunes, but they're very insightful and capture a lot of human experience really beautifully.

And I now see strawberries in an entirely different way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

I have to admit I really want to see this one. I am a bit cautious when it comes to projects that use The Beatles' music but not The Beatles--I still remember that awful Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. But this one looked like it would be good.

8:41 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

I really enjoyed this film. I especially liked how some of the songs were done differently, especially the lovesick version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand". And the woman who played the Janis Joplinish character was amazing.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home