Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It's Mochalicious! ...

Shortly after I started working with Brandon, I started drinking protein shakes. Mmm, protein shakes! Truly, they're rather tasty. I mean, I don't delude myself. I ain't drinkin' a chocolate milkshake. But they're handy. And they give me a reason to use my fab blender, which in the days of B.P. (Before Protein) sat in a lower cabinet, almost never seeing the light of day. I just didn't have many occasions to blend.

And here's where it gets crazy: One day, I found myself mentioning to Brandon that I was getting sick of the chocolate shakes.

Sick.

Of chocolate shakes.

CHOCOLATE SHAKES.

SICK OF CHOCOLATE SHAKES.

I know! It's completely ludicrous!

So Brandon told me to pick up a tub – a vat, a tank, because protein powder does not come in small quantities – of vanilla powder to mitigate the chocolate experience.

And that's what I've been doing ever since. One scoop of chocolate, half a scoop of vanilla, 12 ounces of water, six ice cubes, and blend. (Muscle Provider is my powder of choice. Because that's the kind Brandon told me to buy.)

Until today. Until just a few minutes ago.

Yesterday, Brandon told me about the recipe section of the Beverly International web site. Recipes? There are recipes? There's more to do with protein powder than mix it with water and ice and drink it?

Yup. Though many of the recipes call for artificial sweeteners and I've cut those nasty chemicals out of my diet, so I won't be making "Butterfinger Chocolate Pudding," but whoa ho!, what's this? Add some coffee to your usual shake recipe?

Why did I never think of adding coffee to the blender? The author of the recipe said that the concoction tastes like something from Starbucks and damn if he (or she) wasn't right!

It's a whole new world of protein-shaking!

(Those of you with weak constitutions should stop reading here.)

I drink decaf coffee. I know, I know, you wonder why I drink it at all if I'm not drinking it for the caffeine, but I like the experience of coffee. I just don't like the "it feels like my heart is about to leap out of my chest" experience of that comes with caffeinated coffee.

But coffee + protein shake = mochalicious! I highly recommend it if you're protein-shaking. It's delicious, it's good for your muscles (presuming you weight train and you need to rebuild your muscles), and it doesn't cost $4.50.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

I'll have to tell my Number Two Best Friend about this. It sounds as if it is right up her alley. I always tease her that she drinks a little bit of coffee with her creamer....

8:46 PM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Sounds like a new blog idea...a protein shake recipie a day.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Buffy said...

Protein shakes have been a life saver. But I'm starting to get bored with mine. (Myoplex Lite). I could do with some recipes.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey you. Optimum Nutrition makes a wonderful line of protein powders. They make whey, soy, and egg proteins. I used to work for them. I would definitely stand behind their quality. Look to buy some of your powders and supplements online. You will find they are cheaper that way. I can give you a few websites if you would like.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Sure, Mike, I'll always take a look at alternatives. Though I was surprised that to buy my protein through Beverly International's web site, I'd pay $12 more a container than I pay where I buy it. I thought for sure it would be cheaper online and through the manufacturer. But nope.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home