Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow ... SOMEWHERE ELSE ...

Oy with the snow already.

You know you've had too much snow when you dream about ergonomic snow shovels.

Last night, before I went to bed, I peered out my dining-room curtains into my backyard and what I saw was truly breathtaking. The snow was the wet, heavy variety that sticks to everything and everything was frosted white: trees, power lines, fence, mystery vegetation in my yard that I never got around to cutting back in the fall.

Pretty.

And I went to bed knowing I'd wake up to a large shoveling effort. Which I did. Though, through the magic of meteorologists not knowing what the hell they're talking about, I woke up to less than I anticipated. (What I need to do is simply stop listening to the weatherfolk whose predictions I do not like.)

I didn't have to go anywhere this morning, so I let the shoveling duties wait for a while. I hopped on the treadmill and put in a half hour at a decent pace and incline, then I bundled up to head out into the tundra.

It was stupidly blowy and despite being cold, snow was melting and dripping off my house and onto my head. Lovely. I managed to shovel about two thirds of my shovelable surfaces before retreating back into the warmth of my house to let my hands defrost and to towel off my hair. (Yes, I had a hat with me. It was in my jacket pocket. What's your point?)

Later, I returned to my chore. I was grumpy, trying to heave the heavy snow into ever-growing piles on either side of my driveway and sidewalk. "Seriously, it's almost March!," I groused to myself. "This is insane."

But I shoveled on, because the snow wasn't going to shovel itself, and because I really do like the sense of satisfaction that comes from being able to see your progress on a task like that. Same goes for cutting grass.

And as I shoveled (and shoveled and shoveled and shoveled), I realized that I was shoveling with relative ease. Yes, my back was fussing and my biceps were reminding me that I did arms at the gym yesterday, but cardio-wise, I wasn't winded. I just kept shoveling.

Until I got to the end of my driveway, where I faced the dreaded pile of slushy snow crap created by the snowplow.

It is a cruel irony of physics that water is so damn heavy. No amount of lifting with one's legs makes clearing that slushy snowy icy mess any easier. But I got it all out of the way.

And later, the sun came out.

And then it went away again. I just looked out my office window and it's snowing again. But just flurries this time.

Spring can show up any minute now. I'm ready.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Alison said...

I'm ready for Spring, too. I can't remember the last time I saw sunshine.

6:24 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

I've been feeling sorry for you folks in the Midwest. We've been clearing 50 most days here in Seattle lately.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

They're forecasting warm weather here starting tomorrow and continuing until next week. Maybe it will make its way to Chicago. I do hope it does, for your sake. (-:

8:22 PM  
Anonymous cannon said...

It's turns of phrase like "stupidly blowy" that make yours a can't-put-down blog. Down here, our snow adjectives are "listless" and "desultory". It's almost like it's not even trying hard anymore, like even the snow is tired of snow.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

"Listless ... Like even the snow is tired of snow."

That's fabulous!

Today it will be sunny and 24. Totally sunny. Not a cloud in the sky. I'll take it.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home