Monday, February 11, 2008

Film Conversion ...

Today, on the phone with L.A. Dave, we were chatting about the passing of Roy Scheider. Most people associate him with Jaws but not me. When I think of Roy, I think of All That Jazz. (He seriously should have won an Oscar for his portrayal of Joe Gideon.)

I own All That Jazz on VHS. Remember VHS? In fact, I have the movie on right now.

Dave and I started chatting about my VHS collection. I've been mulling over which movies are worthy of buying on DVD and which I can skip. Which led to a discussion about must-have movies.

It wasn't hard to come up with a very lengthy list, some older, some newer.

The Philadelphia Story and North by Northwest are immediate must-buys for me, as I do not own them in any form. But there are lots in my VHS collection that are worthy of the purchase of the DVD version: Raging Bull, The Wizard of Oz, Arthur and so many more.

And then I start wondering how much longer DVD will be the standard and if, in a few years, I won't be wondering about what DVDs I should be converting to the next format.

Between DVDs and VHSs, I think I own a couple hundred flicks. I won't bother to list them all here, but what are your must-have movies?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Nat said...

The question, "what are your favorites movies" has always stumped me. I think of some, forget to write them down, then when that question comes up, I have only 1 or 2 movies to mention. So, for now, I will say: Whale Rider, Breakfast Club, and Million Dollar Baby, although, I only own one of these. If I think of some more, I'll be back.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Nat said...

I'm baaacckkk..........Turning Point must be on my list.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Godfather"
"My Brilliant Career"
"Out of Africa"
"When Harry Met Sally"
"All the President's Men"
"L.A. Confidential"
"Dr. Zhivago"

10:50 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

I must admit I love All That Jazz, but then I think I am the only straight male besides my best friend and my brother who loves musicals. I thought Scheider was great in it. Of course, I also loved Jaws. Sadly, I don't own either on DVD.

As to my must have movies, well...
Help
A Hard Days Night
Yellow Submarine
Fight Club
The Seven Samurai
A Clockwork Orange
The Wizard of Oz
Singin' in the Rain
Casablanca
The Apartment

Sadly, I only own a few of those (The Beatles movies, Fight Club, and The Apartment) on DVD.

7:26 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

These would be mine:
Annie Hall
The Road Warrior
The Abyss
Manhattan
Contact
Donnie Darko
When Harry Met Sally
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Raising Arizona
Fargo

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home