Friday, February 08, 2008

Available Love Update ...

Ah, the universe is a funny, funny place.

As I've written before, one of my mantras for 2008 is "Available Love." I sent College Boyfriend David's jacket packing last month, and while I haven't been trolling any bars of late, I'm open to meeting someone, sometime, somewhere, in some way.

Maybe a little too open.

Maybe I need to more finely tune my order for Mr. Right.

Why, you ask?

Well, let me give you a couple "for instances."

On Wednesday, I received an e-mail from someone I don't know. The subject line read, "I have to know" and the body of the e-mail read, "if you have a boyfriend or lover at this point?"

Ooookay.

Needless to say, I have not replied to this person. Though Angela suggested that I respond with, "No, but I'm ready to get married and I want to have 10 babies" just to see if I'd hear from him again.

That made me laugh.

But seriously, folks, and by "folks" I mean "guys": Does this strike you as a particularly effective method for finding love? E-mailing women randomly, supplying no background information on yourself, and simply stating that you have to know if they have a boyfriend or lover? Would you really want to date the kind of woman who would reply to that?

And then last night, I received an e-mail from a guy I had a brief e-mail exchange with back in my Match.com days. My Match.com days are long behind me. To wit, this guy writing to me as a reply to an e-mail I had sent. His note said, "Hey Beth, How are you? Longtime no talk!"

Um, yeah, it's been a long time. The last time we wrote to each other was 2003.

2003.

Now, I know some people never delete e-mail (which I don't understand, but that's not the topic at hand), but seriously, digging up an e-mail from five years ago and resurfacing in my e-mailbox?

It's worth noting, for your edification, that back in the day, I replied to his e-mails to be polite but I never thought of myself as being in any way encouraging (though I suppose that any reply can be seen as encouragement to some).

But really? Five years? I could understand it if we had dated or even had an involved e-mail relationship that seemed to be leading somewhere to maybe attempt a reconnection five years hence. But we didn't.

I get that love is a numbers game, but this is just weird.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least give him a chance and open your mind. You don't know where he's coming from. There's a chance you'll like him, and a chance you won't.

Maybe you're overanalyzing and should just take some chances? You don't have much to lose except a few mintues of your time.

Of course if you found him boring and repulsive, you probably won't like him and you would be wasting your time. But it sounds like you didn't.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Love is a numbers game.

Unfortunately, some of us seem to get ahold of the irrational numbers...

9:39 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Speaking as a guy, I don't think I would ever email a woman I don't even know asking if she has a boyfriend or a lover. Maybe it's just me, but I have to know someone before I even attempt anything approaching courtship. To me anyone who would do so is just, well, desperate.

As to Match.Com guy, I'm thinking if it took him five years to reply, he's either really desperate or really bored. I mean, if I am really interested in a woman, I'll reply to her right away (i.e.mircoseconds after I get the email), NOT five years later.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home