Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Ready? Set? Go! 2008 ...

Happy New Year, friends.

Did you have a nice New Year's Eve? I did. What did I do? Well, I went to see my very good friend Nick in his very fabulous new apartment in Oak Park. He just moved in this weekend. Boxes abounded. But we made a lot of headway, unpacking and chatting and noshing (on cookies and then a lovely lunch, purchased in parts at Whole Foods) and mending (Nick recruited me to stitch up some open seams in his quilt; I am rather handy with a needle and thread).

Then I drove to Doreen's to drop off a little something for a special someone. She opened the door wearing her snowflake PJs. "The weather outside is frightful," I said. Actually, it was fine. Snowy, but fine for driving. Wet streets.

I was only there for a few minutes before heading for home. Wet streets, wet streets, wet expressway, whoa, where the hell is the plow and salt truck? A good part of my drive was completed at 25 miles per hour on total snowpack. Thrilling. I tried not to hyperventilate. But I made it safely into my garage.

The snow was a hassle when it came to driving but it was breathtakingly beautiful once my car was put away. I stood in a tire track in my driveway, taking deep breaths, staring up at the snow in the trees. I closed my eyes and felt the flakes fall against my face. And with my deep breaths, I let go of 2007 and welcomed 2008.

Inside, L.A. Dave called. College Boyfriend David texted.

After trading Happy New Year wishes with each of them, I sat down to write my resolutions for 2008. I came up with 10. They are sealed in an envelope, awaiting placement in my top dresser drawer to be read next New Year's Eve.

I made my bed. I like getting into a made bed, even if I make it late in the day. And it seemed especially important to get into a made bed on New Year's Eve, setting an orderly tone for the new year.

I thought it would be nice to welcome 2008 while reading The Best Year of Your Life, which Doreen loaned to me a while back, having not yet read it herself.

So I started reading it, but then realized that it's something I should read tomorrow (or today, now, as the case may be).

I had a better idea for welcoming the new year: I dressed for shoveling, set my iPod to Shuffle (as you know, I think my iPod is like a Magic 8 Ball and is good for conveying cosmic messages), and headed outside.

What better way to welcome a new year than by literally clearing a fresh path?

It didn't matter to me exactly when 2007 became 2008, but I knew it was midnight when fireworks began appearing in the snow-filled sky.

And the iPod had this to say:

Big Log, Robert Plant – I love this song, you know. It was the penultimate song on this year's birthday CD. But as I listened, I realized that I didn't know all the lyrics, exactly. (I looked them up when I got inside. Opinions vary on a few of the lyrics, but having listened to it a couple more times while following along with the words, I'm confident that I have the right version, below.)

My love is in league with the freeway
Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by
And the taillights dissolve, in the coming of night
And the questions in thousands take flight
My love is the miles and the waiting
The eyes that just stare, and a glance at the clock
And the secret that burns, and the pain that won't stop
And it's fuel is the years
Leading me on
Leading me down the road
Driving me on
Driving me down the road

My love is exceeding the limit
Red-eyed and fevered with the hum of the miles
Distance and longing, my thoughts do collide
Should I rest for a while, on the side
Your love is cradled in knowing
Eyes in the mirror, still expecting they'll come
Sensing to well, when the journey is done
There is no turning back, no There is no turning back, on the run.
My love is in league with the freeway
Oh, the freeway, and the coming of night-time
My love, my love, is in league with the freeway.


Gotta Be This Or That, Beth Kujawski – It cracks me up that one of the songs I recorded was the next song to shuffle to the top. I'll take that as a sign that I should do more recording in the coming year, especially since I haven't been in the studio since May.

Better Man, Pearl Jam – Kelley and I have decided that one of our mantras for 2008 is "Available Love." Here's hoping I find a better man. Better than who? Better than any of the men who have come before, seeing as how I didn't end up with any of them. Better for me, that is.

Today, Smashing Pumpkins – On some songs, the first line really jumps out at me. "Today is the greatest day I've ever known, can't live for tomorrow, tomorrow's much too long." You gotta love kicking off the new year listening to the lyric, "Today is the greatest day I've ever known." Here's hoping that's true every day.

September Song, Bryan Ferry – I heard the opening to this song - "But it's a long, long while from May to December" - and laughed out loud. (Those who understand why understand why.)

Alive, Pearl Jam, from 16 - Katowice (Side B) – More Pearl Jam. I have 4,772 songs in my iPod. What are the odds that two PJ tracks would shuffle up so close together? (That's a rhetorical question. Don't say, "Uh, 2 in 4,772.") It's a cut from a live album. Maybe I'll finally make it to a Pearl Jam concert this year.

I Start Out Hearing It In My Head, Peter Nashel, from The Bee Season – I love this piece. The book was terrific. The movie was horrific, but the soundtrack was captivating. The title of this piece also describes the writing process for my screenplay.

The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill, The Beatles – I guess I'm in for an LSD trip or two in 2008. Damn, this song is weird.

Hide Away, Rock Kills Kid – If you're ever looking for a song to listen to sometime after midnight on January 1 while shoveling your driveway, watching fireworks burst in the sky, and dancing in the snow, tonight I discovered that this is a good choice.

I have high hopes for 2008, higher than I've ever had before. Let's meet back here in a year. I'll let you know how things went.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

I wondered if Chicago would get snow. It spit some snow here of the afternoon, but stopped within an hour. No accumulation, for which I am glad. Anyway, I had a good New Year's Eve. Since my Number One Best Friend had an ongoing crisis (thankfully resolved now) and my Number Two Best Friend always spends New Year's Eve with her husband, I spent mine with my family. We watched Shrek 2 and I drank Smirnoff's Ice. The last song I listened to was "Everything Works If You Let It" by Cheap Trick. It was a nice way to close the year.

I have to agree with you on "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill." Strange song. But then the White Album as a whole is weird. And I still like that cover of Gotta Be This Or That by Beth Kujawski, whoever she is... *grin*

Happy New Year!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ah, Cheap Trick. Love those guys.

Chicago continues to get snow. I'm not going to shovel again until it stops.

Happy New Year to you, too, Mercurie! All good things to you in 2008.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI there's always www.lyricsfreak.com to look up lyrics. You might wanna compare "your" verison of "Big Log" to theirs.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks for the tip, Anon. I checked several sites and weighed the differences in the lyrics and then listened to the song over and over and made my own call on what version was right. But I'll check lyricsfreak, if I didn't already.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

You do realize that in Better Man by Pearl Jam, Eddie is actually singing "...butter man...", yes?

12:47 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ohhhhh! : o )

Well, hell, I need a butter man, too. Have you seen the price of butter these days?

12:49 PM  
Anonymous cannon said...

Thanks for posting the lyrics to Big Log. Without trying too hard, I've been trying to stumble on a copy of that song for years. I still don't get the connection between the title and the lyrics, but thanks to you and iTunes, I can now give it a listen whenever.

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home