Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Musical Cure For What Ails You ...

Every year, English Teacher Dave (aka DJ Dave) makes his wife Gail an anniversary CD. The series is titled "Don't Remind Me." Last year's disc is "Don't Remind Me #6."

(I love his sense of humor. I also love that no matter how old you get [not that Dave is old], you're never too old to make a "mix tape" for someone you love. I just got a copy of the disc today, even though their anniversary is in August. Dave dawdles a bit. I'm sure Gail received the disc in August. He was just a bit slow in sending a copy to me. And why did he send a copy to me? Because he put one of my songs on it.)

Anyway, the point of this post is that this disc opens with Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open The Door."

I defy anyone in a bad mood to listen to this track and not cheer up instantly. Go ahead. Try. It's a short cut. If you must, you can go back to your bad mood in 2:41.

(Incidentally, in addition to sharing the bill with Pete Townshend, I also find myself in the company of, among others, Kurt Elling, Sam and Dave, Heatwave, Gloria Gaynor, the Penguin Cafe Orchestra, and Vivaldi. My hat's off to the DJ. Here's to many compilations to come.)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Nat said...

Penguin Cafe Orchestra?! I loves me some 'Perpetuum Mobile' (sp?). That is the song that I like to start my day with. I was introduced to the song many years ago (more than 10) when a dance company did a piece to the song. I seem to remember the piece lifting my mood as well.
So which song did Dave pick from PCO?

12:43 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Not being in a particularly good mood, I might listen to "Let My Love Open The Door" today.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Nat: The tune Dave chose is Music for a Found Harmonium. I must confess that until two days ago, I was completely ignorant of the existence of Penguin Cafe Orchestra, but now that I'm in the know, I'm a big fan!

Merc: Did you listen? Did it work?

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Nat said...

If you want to have a particularly juicy day, I suggest you get on itunes and download the song I mentioned. mmm-mmmm good.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yup, i already headed over there! Thanks for the recommendation!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Yes, I listened to it. And it did help. (-:

9:31 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

It's magic, this song! I just put it on – again! – and am instantly happier! And I was pretty happy before.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

On your recommendation, and because I knew better anyway, I just bought "Let My Love Open the Door" off of iTunes. Unfortunately, I'm already in a good mood, so I don't know how effective it will be on me at this time. But it will be good to have handy. Now let me recommend a song to you: "Apologize" by OneRepublic. Though I think I'm late hopping on his bandwagon.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home