Thursday, January 10, 2008

Making Room ...

Tonight, I struck a blow for Available Love.

Kelley and I have made that one of our mantras for 2008: Available Love.

You have to be careful what you wish for, you see. It's not enough to wish for love. Love takes many forms. So you have to be specific. If he's not available, he's not a contender, no matter how damn wonderful he is. His unavailability neutralizes his wonderfulness. No point in falling for yet another unavailable man.

And whether you believe in feng shui or karma or juju or nothing at all, I do, and I'm the one writing this post.

Like I've discussed before, at its core, everything is energy. Shift your energy, shift your circumstances.

The other day, I opened my front closet to grab a coat and spied College Boyfriend David's leather jacket hanging among my garments.

He left it here when he visited in May. When I found it, many months later, I fired off an e-mail to him, asking if he'd like me to ship it to him.

No, he replied. It would cost too much to ship. He asked me to hang onto it until he came to visit again, hoping it wouldn't be many years.

So I left the jacket in my closet. I tried it on, thinking I'd wear it in the meantime, but it doesn't look right on me, so I never did.

And then, the other day, I opened the door and saw it and thought, "You need to stop hanging around here." As long as David's jacket was hanging in my closet, it seemed, I didn't have room for some other man's jacket. An available man's jacket.

So tonight, I folded David's jacket and wrapped it in tissue and padded a box with bubble wrap and slid his jacket inside, wrote a note to him and tucked that inside, too, and sealed it all up and made an address label and put the box in the living room. Tomorrow, I will take it to the post office and insure it for a couple hundred bucks, just in case, and send it on its way.

It won't cost too much to ship. Because I suddenly feel as though the cost of keeping it around would be far too high.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

Geez, now you make me want to clean out my closets... Good post.

12:58 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

You're making a wise move.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks, guys. When I shipped it off, I felt lighter. And not just because I wasn't carrying the box around anymore.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Wow, the symbolism runs deep. You should write for a living ;)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

...and I must say, I for one appreciate the "Dave" clarifications in the last few posts...

11:43 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

One could say that C.B. Dave now has no excuse to come to see you again in short order. One also could say that he should need no excuse other than just to see you. That's all the wisdom I have today.

4:58 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

Beth- for what it's worth, we all think you're great.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Aw, thanks, J. That's very sweet of you.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

I saw this today, and had to share, re: available love.

Old but good.

;-)

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home