Saturday, January 12, 2008

Gratitude ...

I have had a spectacular day.

Actually, I have had a spectacular January, and it's only the 12th. Lots more spectacularity to come!

At the risk of turning Finding My Voice into your one-stop shop for all things touchy-feely, I am compelled to cement my gratitude for today for all the cosmos to witness.

It's like this: I feel as though I am finally hitting my life's stride, as though I'm finally becoming truly comfortable in my skin, as though I'm finally becoming the person I was born to be.

And what accounts for this seismic shift? Near as I can tell, it was the act of accepting, of acknowledging, my gifts and applying them to my life.

Years ago (November 21, 2001, to be exact), I wrote a poem. I am not a poet. But that day, for whatever reason, I started writing, and this is what appeared:

I rise from trumpets and roses
Escape the embrace of imagined
solitary comfort
To join the living, the fully alive,
if unaware, beyond
I enter, my eyes wide open
A world where beginnings sometime
have ends or linger or grow
until they are unaware they
have begun and simply are
My life, full and round and
good


I printed that out and framed it, actually. My name's not on it. But I wanted it hanging in my house so I could read it from time to time. And I did, but it wasn't until tonight that it really seemed to resonate, as though back in 2001 I was writing about some time in the future, which became today.

I can't yet reveal what it is that is the cause of this gladness as it is still in process and not entirely decided, but I have spent the night reminding myself that no matter what happens, I have this feeling in this moment, which is everything.


Poem © Beth Kujawski, 2008

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I am excited for you. I know exactly what you mean and I have had a similar feeling at times lately, where I finally felt like people were taking me seriously.

Congratulations for whatever the cause of your happiness is. I am sure you'll share it with us when the time is right.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous cannon said...

I'm guessing Director of Suspense for Random House.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

I am so glad you having a good 2008. And I hope it just gets better for you!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Gladness is a good thing. Don't question it, just revel in it. :)

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me guess: You’re writing your acceptance speech for the Oscar you win for the screenplay you’re commissioned to write for Journal Jeff’s book when it comes out and sells a gazillion copies!

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home