Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Gratitude, Part II ...

OK, first of all, you commenting-type folk are kinda eerie when it comes to your prognostication abilities.

On my Gratitude post, Cannon wrote: "I'm guessing Director of Suspense for Random House."

And an Anon wrote: "Let me guess: You’re writing your acceptance speech for the Oscar you win for the screenplay you’re commissioned to write for Journal Jeff’s book when it comes out and sells a gazillion copies!"

Neither of which are exact guesses, but it did indeed have to do with a publisher and with Journal Jeff: There was a good chance (before it became a not-so-good chance and before becoming no chance at all) that I was going to be the one to edit Jeff's final manuscript, given that I'd already given it one pass and both Jeff and his editor were impressed with all that I found to correct in that round.

I didn't get the gig, but I don't blame the editor. It's a very high-profile project and he's never worked with me before. But now I'm on his radar. Perhaps something will come of it.

So I remain grateful. Today I knocked out an article for a freelance client, participated in my first conference call with a new client in which I felt remarkably competent (I'm pretty sure it's because of the headset I now wear for conference calls), performed duties for my actual job, had a kick-ass workout at the gym, put in some serious effort on my treadmill, and then, as if all that wasn't enough, I called my mortgage company to discuss the escrow accounting I received today, ready to do all sorts of battle to get a tax issue settled, and the woman I spoke with was perfectly pleasant and informed me that I could disregard the notice I received today, that my monthly payment won't be going up by $268 dollars to cover a projected escrow shortfall (due to the miscalculation of how much I'll owe on my property taxes this year) but will instead go up by $1.08.

One dollar and eight cents.

As my grandmother used to say, "How's a person supposed to save any money?" : o )

And last night, English Teacher Dave called to arrange dinner for this Saturday, as we haven't seen each other in what feels like forever.

And and, today I got an appointment with J-D, my hair architect, for the day before I have to travel for business, a trip during which I will have to sit for a headshot. So now I will have newly J-D-ified hair for the picture!

And and and, the craziness that has consumed me for the past several days subsided when I filed my story today, so I can stop being such a slacker in these here blog parts.

It's all good.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Nat said...

Great idea. I'm going out to buy a headset. Who cares if I've never had a conference call. If it makes me confident, that's all that matters.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I totally did my headset! It was awesome to use at Christmastime: I could chat with my friends and wrap presents at the same time!

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

I can't talk on the phone without a headset anymore. People make fun of us for having one, but they can enjoy "phone elbow" on their own time.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

It's good to hear that things are still going well with you. Of course, I must admit I hate wearing headsets, but then when you wear one eight hours a day...

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home