Tuesday, January 08, 2008

He Writes The Songs ...

Coming up on two years ago now, I wrote I Was A Pre-Teen Fanilow, in which I spoke of my love for Barry Manilow.

Today, I received an e-mail solicitation from Live Nation, and the subject line read: "Barry Manilow this Saturday - Tickets start at $9.99".

Oof.

Just out of curiosity, I clicked the links and made my way to Ticketbastard. I dipped for a pair, not because I could immediately think of anyone who'd want to join me, but because searching for a single ticket will sometimes result in a rather choice location because not everyone buys tickets in even numbers or in numbers that total the seats in a row.

And a pair came up. For this Saturday's show. At the United Center. On the floor. Ninth row, center.

Oh, Barry.

I shudder to think what the attendance will be for this gig. Of course, part of the problem here could be that those primo seats were $250. Each. Face value. Before the Ticketbastard "convenience" fees and such.

I paid $250 for a ticket to see The Police, a once-in-a-lifetime event for me. And I would have paid that much to see Paul McCartney, but I drew the $125 seats.

But $250 to see Barry Manilow?

Maybe the show will be fine. Maybe Barry's fan base opted for the less-expensive seats and the UC, which seats somewhere around 20,000, will be suitably full.

I hope so. For him.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can laugh about Barry Manilow all we want, but some of his recent releases ... remakes of classic songs from the 60s, 70s and 80s are GREAT car listening for us aging baby boomers who can't remember who did half the songs originally, but know we love 'em.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, I'm not laughing at him. I think it's sad that tix for his show are being offered in a fire sale. I've seen him on PBS: He's a great showman and has a great voice. And he might have nothing to do with setting his ticket prices, but $250 a seat seems steep to me as it does to others as well, apparently.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

You know how a few really whacked-out fundamentalists believe that fossils are planted on Earth to tempt us into not believing in God in favor of the theory of evolution? Well, that's bullocks. Actually, it's Barry Manilow who is here to tempt us into not believing in God. How's it working?

That being said, "Copacabana" is one heck of a catchy tune. Not as catchy as "Let My Love Open the Door," but really, what is?

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry but this anon reader is confused and needs clarification. Dave, do you believe in God?

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home