Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Deep-Fried Insanity ...

What's pictured below?













Is it a picture of ... :

a) ... large cubes of compacted breadcrumbs?
b) ... cinnamon-coated squares of cake?
c) ... fuzzy cornbread?

No. No, it's none of the above, kids. It's head-shaking, incredulity-inducing, mind-boggling answer d):

d) ... deep-fried mac and cheese.

Seriously. Deep. Fried. Mac. And. Cheese.

Deep.

Fried.

Mac.

And.

Cheese.

DEEP.

FRIED.

MAC.

AND.

CHEESE.

DEEP.

FRIED.

MAC.

AND.

CHEESE.


And who do we have to thank for this heart-attack-alicious delicacy?

Why, Paula Deen, of course.

I've gotta ask: HOW IS THAT WOMAN STILL ALIVE?!

I was turned on to this culinary turn-off by Steff, in this post, who wrote: "HOLY CRAP, Batman! I flipped onto her show and what's the woman cooking? Bacon-wrapped squares of super-cheesy homemade macaroni and cheese... breaded and deep-fried!"

Paula's recipe doesn't mention the bacon, but it's not a big leap from deep-fried mac and cheese to bacon-wrapped deep-fried mac and cheese. It's like Southern rumaki.

Here's the thing: I love mac and cheese. I love fried food. I love bacon. But never, in a million years, even if I wasn't on my current health kick, could my brain ever conceive of putting all of those components together.

Seriously, she's a cyborg, right? She must be. No human could eat like she eats and not sustain a chest-grabber on the spot.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Sad thing?

Both the Cheesecake Factory and TGIFridays have a variation on this.

Yes. You can get this destroyer of waistlines and harbinger of arterial doom at at least TWO different national chain restaurants. Probably more.

I swear, sometimes I think that our future as a nation is doomed to be that of millions of rotund people, all generating their own gravitational fields, bitching about how hard it is to get an appointment for their next bypass operation.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I had no idea. I've been to a Cheesecake Factory twice in my life. And I can't remember the last time I was at a TGIFridays. A decade, maybe?

Regardless, I shudder at the thought that people are eating this stuff. I mean, I like some onion rings as much as the next person, and who doesn't like the occasional French fry, by deep fried mac and cheese? Wrapped in bacon? What's for dessert after that meal? A couple scoops of Crisco?

7:43 AM  
Anonymous WeightingGame said...

This is insanity. I mean, I *kind of* understand the allure of a cheesy fried snack but to take a childhood fave like mac n cheese and plunge it in a vat of hot oil, wrapped in bacon, no less, seems like a bastardization of food. Like fried Snickers or fried Twinkies or any of the "fried
Whatevers" out there. I have heard of it popping up on menus tho. I'll stick with salad and fish...plus something chocolate for dessert, of course :-)

9:05 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

Seeing that Paula Deen is arguably drunk most of the time, I suppose it makes sense. And remember, bacon is the gateway meat.

Verification word: owomte -
1.(n.) the sound a stomach makes when it receives a chunk of deep fried mac & cheese.
2.(n.) the uncontrollable sound a human makes in the bathroom some time after eating DFM&C.
3. (v.t.) to cause a massive clog (esp. in the waste plumbing) requiring the services of a plumber.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home